Uh-oh, there goes Kepware

danw

Lifetime Supporting Member
email message:

[FONT=&quot]We are pleased to inform you that PTC (NASDAQ: PTC), a global provider of technology platforms and solutions that transform how companies create, operate, and service the ‘things’ in the Internet of Things (IoT), has signed a definitive agreement to acquire Kepware.

[/FONT]
* * sigh * * That spells the end of Kepware's customer support. I wonder if they'll fire the support guys before Christmas or after.

email message:

[FONT=&quot]We are pleased to inform you that PTC (NASDAQ: PTC), a global provider of technology platforms and solutions that transform how companies create, operate, and service the ‘things’ in the Internet of Things (IoT), has signed a definitive agreement to acquire Kepware.

[/FONT]
* * sigh * * That spells the end of Kepware's customer support. I wonder if they'll fire the support guys before Christmas or after.

We have used Kepware for years and in my opinion they started going downhill when they started charging an unreasonable yearly support fee. Around the same time they cut resale discounts.

Recently, they started charging for the privilege of reselling their products (as an integrator)

In my opinion, they still make a great OPC Server, but I could tell it was only a matter of time...

Not really sure how this will make things worse, but time will tell.

Gotta wonder how this will affect all the vendors who source their software drivers into other proprietary systems also?

...but then as everyone moves into the "New and Improved" OPC UA and building this into their base products as many have already done the need for KEP driver type products will wain and likely go the way of 'serial drivers'. 📚

...but then as everyone moves into the "New and Improved" OPC UA and building this into their base products as many have already done the need for KEP driver type products will wain and likely go the way of 'serial drivers'. 📚

That's the same future I see. The original OPC relied on Windows DCOM, so the PC software was a necessary evil. Now that some PLCs can and are integrating OPC UA servers into the CPU, there will be no need for external software.

Just as the Ethernet cable has replaced the serial dongle (profibus/devicenet/etc) in most new systems, so will OPC UA render standard OPC Servers obsolete. I give it at most 5 years before they are prevalent in new systems. It is too clean a solution to not happen.

That's the same future I see. The original OPC relied on Windows DCOM, so the PC software was a necessary evil. Now that some PLCs can and are integrating OPC UA servers into the CPU, there will be no need for external software.

Just as the Ethernet cable has replaced the serial dongle (profibus/devicenet/etc) in most new systems, so will OPC UA render standard OPC Servers obsolete. I give it at most 5 years before they are prevalent in new systems. It is too clean a solution to not happen.

Some time ago Matrikon bought a software company that makes an SDK that does just this. Maybe they saw the writing on the wall.

I was disappointed to see this in my email this morning. Kepware has been a great company to do business with. My only experience with the company that bought out Kepware was with a company called Thingworx that was also bought out by PTC. I wasnt impressed by their sales team or the pricing structure. Maybe things changed when PTC bought them.

I cant blame the owner of Kepware though. Thats alot of money and he is still a young man with alot of life to enjoy.

Last edited:
Hmm...we'll see what happens.

I'm still waiting for N-tron ethernet switches to start showing up with plastic housings, ever since Red Lion bought them.