siemens master disk

If you're talking about a legitimate backup, yes there is. But it's a tedious procedure and you'll need a DOS computer and a program called ANADISK. I however don't see why someone would need to make a backup since Siemens is very helpful if there is a problem. I know, because they've helped me in the past.

Kind regards,

Amen to that, I can not say how many times I have had to call Siemens support to help me reload the authorization. Siemens support has always been really good about helping me with that....once I needed it after regular hours and got called back within the hour by the lady from her home, just cant beat that.

Note: The authorization screwups can be attributed to windows crash or me just being ignorant...never had anything to do with the Siemens software.

They even tried to help me get my older version of Micro/Win working when Disk1 corrupted.

drive image

two words - drive image (or maybe norton ghost). how you use it is up to you. you still need the siemens floppy but you can replicate the authorization back on to it. oops - i've already said too much...

Drive Image has saved me many times! Just to add as reqards norton ghost, A siemens engineer once advised me not to use it as it corrupts your keys, But ive never tried
it

Steve

I've used WinImage to give me a backup when emergency reformatting (Windows dies and i'm in a foreign country with no Siemens Keydisk, just a CD-RW) - works on a HDD partition, but haven't tried it on a floppy. All Siemens licences intact after the dreadful deed (as were my AB ones as well).

drive image - siemens floppy

steve, I don't like anything by Norton but the rest of the "computer literate" punters here love it!
cirrusphil, I mean you need the siemens disk if you want to duplicate authorizations.I think you can use the anadisk that jean-pierre mentioned to do a complete disk dupe but I'm not 100% on that. Using the siemens disk take the authorization from A to C(or whatever), I used a tiny extra partition (D) - image that drive, take it back to A and then restore that HDD partition. hey presto, 2 authorizations, one on A and one on C. If you have multi partitions you can go nuts and have a token on each and as many as you want on the original floppy (probably not true,I've only counted 2 on one disk before) Doh, I've gone too far again ...

hey presto, 2 authorizations, one on A and one on C. If you have multi partitions you can go nuts and have a token on each and as many as you want on the original floppy (probably not true,I've only counted 2 on one disk before) Doh, I've gone too far again ...
Yeah, you sure have. People might start thinking you're telling them how to make illegal multiple copies of the authorisations. The question was how to make a backup, which should be completely legal. And yes, I know, if we tell how to make a backup, there'll be some who take advantage of it and do make illegal multiple copies. But that's for them to be accounted for. And I'm one of those who's thinking they can't be punished hard enough. Illegal is illegal.

Better would be that the software was free to use. Companies should get the pay for the software out of the selling of PLC's. That way schools could do more training for less money, more people could get a proper education on PLC and more people would use PLC, what in turn results in more PLC's sold, thus software being also paid in return and so on. But that's an entire other topic.

Kind regards,

Illegal copies

Thank you for your input jvdcande
I just point to solutions, how people use them is up to them. What people think is NOT my problem (nor can I change it) I have spelled out once before the ramifications. I will not recite chapter and verse once again for those individuals who already know just asking provokes questions about copyright laws!

I really don't care for your response, whatever it may be.
I am tired of "lets not give them answers, just our opinion" type solutions. If they break the law for copyright infringements, thats their problem. I am REALLY growing tired of this Bullshirt!

It's really funny that jv has a problem with my solution. I said "I really don't know if it solves your problem" and all of a sudden he comes up with the disertation!

Last edited:
bitmore,
there is a problem with your argumentation.

The ONLY reason for making a copy of a Siemens Master disk is to make illegal copies of the licenses in order to distribute them.

Siemens has been so nice as to let its software stay fully functional even without a licence. A nag-screen will appear once in a while, but the software stays functional.
In other words, even if you CAN do it there is no critical reason for actually doing it.
And if you are tired of the nagscreen, you can install the 14-day licence until you get a new license from Siemens.

I notice that it is 'programmer's first post.

Bitmore,

I was not reacting to your post, but to the one from Kennyb, which is quite obvious if you're reading the quote. Sorry if I offended you, it surely was not intentional, I only forgot to mention were the quote came from.

Kind regards,

this is getting out of hand

Better would be that the software was free to use. Companies should get the pay for the software out of the selling of PLC's. That way schools could do more training for less money, more people could get a proper education on PLC and more people would use PLC, what in turn results in more PLC's sold, thus software being also paid in return and so on.

got my vote!

i'd like to make it clear i have 2!! -count 'em- authorizations, one on HDD and one on THE ORIGINAL SIEMENS DISK. that's why i described the method i used - it also did occur to me that you could take it to extremes and i probably shouldn't have made it so obvious. as for copying the actual siemens floppy - don't know how, never tried.

The ONLY reason for making a copy of a Siemens Master disk is to make illegal copies of the licenses in order to distribute them.
that's right jesper, and who wants to get involved in that!

If debugging is the art of removing bugs, then programming must be the art of inserting them.