"E Won" VPN appliance with WiFi access to the Internet ?

Ken Roach

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I know its tradename is verboten here (they did some spamming a while back) but I find myself if the market for a VPN appliance and the e Won Cosy 131 looks like it will fit the bill.

My machine is in an environment where we do have WiFi access to the Internet via a guest network in the building. The machine is controlled by ControlLogix, with an Indusoft HMI.

The way I want it to work is for the WiFi part of the Cosy to be a client and get an automatic IP address on the WiFi network and get Internet access.

Then the hardwired ports are how I'll access the PLC system.

But I want to be sure I'm not just indulging in wishful thinking. The WiFi portion might be an Access Point for nearby users to connect their PCs to the network, not an client Adapter.

I've been messing around for three days trying to get a standalone Windows 7 machine to do exactly this with LogMeIn Hamachi, and I've already wasted more than enough money to pay for the appliance, if that's how it works.

Related question; I always have to pay them for the "Talk 2 M" service, right ? Just 6 GB a month for the "Pro" version. Worth the money, but it affects how I do the purchasing.

There are 3x models in the cosy range.
It is as you think, can connect to the client network with wifi etc etc, then connect via the ****** VPN.
The account we have setup is free & appears to work, I think the cost comes in based on data usage.

We are looking at a similar setup for the machines we export.
Only issue I have is getting it connected, but plan on having TeamViewer on the HMI so we can configure it remotely.

We have been using E won for a while now and pretty happy with it.

Finally settled with Cosy 131 Wifi. It can do WiFi and wired connection. WiFi won't work for us most of the time because of the factory environment and the device is inside an electric cabinet always.

Tried 3G versions too but very very slow because of same reasons with WiFi.

We are using the free version of Talk 2 M and works fine for us. Only limitation for us is you can only connect to one device from one user.

But the device is not good for long term monitoring. Good only for troubleshooting and updating the system. If you stay connected for more than an hour it'll cut the connection automatically.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies !

Fortunately I have a strong, fast WiFi signal in the area of the machine. I'll mount the Cosy 131 in the cabinet and run a short cable to an external WiFi antenna.

I was able to use their online demo within just a few minutes of downloading the software, and got confirmation both from this forum and from one of their salesmen that the WiFi and Ethernet work as I expect them to work.

In my case I need only short periods of connectivity, to check on program issues and perform remote edits.