Siemens S7 and Logix 5000 on same machine

rayhovis

Lifetime Supporting Member
I've always been warned that it's not good to have Logix and Siemens on the same hard drive. Well our primary laptop crashed with the RSLogix 5000 on it and I have a windows 7 laptop with Siemens S7 already installed on it. Will the two work on the same laptop? I need to get the Logix 5000 installed and running in case I have issues, we're in shutdown mode right now but we'll be starting everything back up 1-4-2016.

I dont think you would have an issue, as I've had rs500 and s7 running on the same computer before, even simultaenously.

I think the common recommendation will be that you install all the AB software on a VM, and then you can use the VM when you need it.

This is what I currently do for RSL500.

Hi

From my experience yes they will but ( again always a but)
I would not put them on the same machine. I would strongly suggest you look at vm ware or a software like it.
On a number of times I have had to rebuild machine because of software issues.
vm ware will reduce this issue to almost nil

So my answer is yes it will(may) work but I would but do it

Donnchadh

I think many of the issues with multiple programming packages are related to serial systems. Only one program can use a serial port at a time, and sometimes a package would claim the port and never let go.

Now that most devices can be programmed over Ethernet, this is much less of a problem. Windows allows all programs to share the ethernet port.

That said, using virtual machines can simplify a lot of things, especially if you need different combinations of programs and versions installed for different customers.

Years ago I had problems with a RS500 update that interfered with S5 that was on the same laptop. The default settings were changed during the update making RSLinks load when the laptop was powered up. With RSLinks active I could not connect to the Siemens PLCs. Once I realized that was a problem I found a way to NOT have RSLinks open automatically. Now all is well between the two.

I have RSL5K, RSL500, FTView, S7pro, S7 safety, WinCC, TIA portal pro, RSnetworx, PB32, etc. plus some Automation Direct stuff running on a Dell Win7 pro laptop with no VMs just fine. 16gb ram helps.

I have had several laptops where I've run Siemens Step 7 software alongside a range of AB products and I've never had a single issue doing this. My current Windows 7 Pro 64bit laptop has Step 7 V5.5, TIA Portal V11, 12 & 13, Wincc Flexible 2008 SP3, various Siemens bolt on packages, RSLogix500 V8, RSLogix 5000 V13-20, RSNetworx for DeviceNet, RSNetworx for ControlNet, FactoryTalk View ME, PanelBuilder32 etc etc and I've never had a conflict or problem with any of the listed programs.