micrologix 1000 wiring

drone

I am wanting to wire a pneumatic actuator through an output of the AB Micrologix controller. I am using a seperate 24 DC Power supply to activate the actuator. How do I wire it so when the contacts are closed on the output of the controller that it allows the dc power source to turn on the actuator? Thanks,

I am assuming you are actuating a solenoid valve.

I am assuming you have verified that the solenoid valve current draw at inrush is within the rating of the PLC discrete output (although this is improbable).

I am assuming that you can live with reduced PLC output life because inductive loads like solenoids are tough on PLCs.

I am assuming you have printed out the A-B manual for the PLC you are using.

In that case draw your circuit diagram so that the + of the 24 VDC power supply goes to the discrete output common on the PLC, and from the output contact to the + of the solenoid valve, and from the - of the solenoid valve to the - of the power supply.

However, I recommend using an interposing relay, so you should wire like this:
+ of the 24 VDC power supply goes to the discrete output common on the PLC, and from the output contact to the + of the relay coil, and from the - of the relay coil to the - of the power supply

+ of the 24 VDC power supply goes to the common on the relay contacts, and from the output NO contact on the relay to the + of the solenoid valve, and from the - of the solenoid valve to the - of the power supply

Wow, Bitmore, this is the first time in quite a while that someone has accused me of being nice! I'm going to have to watch that.

If I thought this was a lazy student, I'd have ripped. I just think this is inexperience, and that can be cured.

Inexperience I can understand, but this seemed to me to be a problem consisting of a VERY simple electrical concept. 1 device to wire and I bet there is a cut sheet that comes with the device that shows a typical wiring diagram. It was also the fact it's a DC solenoid. I used to teach electrical and electronic theory, developed laboratory projects and then helped students through the learning curve. I may have jumped the gun here and ripped a salesman, but if he is a salesman then he should hire a competent person to perform the simple hookup, and it is SIMPLE. I'll bet you anything the next post is gonna be "How do I program my PLC to make the solenoid turn on?"

If I'm wrong I'll be the first to admit it! Questions like the one he asked demonstrated the total lack of basic electrical knowledge, and perhaps the individual should not attempt doing it by their self. I would hate to think somebody got killed because I answered a simple question and that ensured enough confidence in the unknowledgeable
reader to attempt doing it.

Last edited: