Beckhoff CX8090 problem with connectivity

karlek

So, I got this Beckhoff embedded PC for some testing purposes of various K-bus terminals. Before I worked with CX1010 and had no such problems.

OK, so the problem is happening pretty much at the start of using the CX8090. In the TwinCAT system manager I just can't get the CX to show in "Add route dialog". Of course, I am using the X001 ethernet port (and the CX is in config state - set by those red switches inside the housing).

When I connected my laptop to CX using the other Ethernet port (X101) I can see the CX in the network (Windows Explorer on my laptop) - so I double clicked the icon and accessed Upnp webpage used for diagnosis.

I have attached a screenshot where you can clearly see that port X001 can't get IP address assigned by DHCP, while X101 got an IP address. I also tried disabling DHCP for X001 and setting IP address manually but after I click "Save Network Settings" the IP address just returns to 0.0.0.0.

Help anyone, what am I doing wrong? :)

P.S. the configuration is Windows 10 and TwinCAT v2.11.2232 on my laptop.

CX8090.jpg

Last edited:
Well, one of those problems when you aren't sure what did the trick :)

First, I have to correct myself - of course the port X001 didn't get an IP address while I connected my laptop to the other port (X101), so the situation in the above picture is OK (IP address 0.0.0.0 for the other port).

In the end I am not sure what did the trick - I played a little with my network settings in the Windows control panel and changed network type to public so after all I was able to see my CX in my laptop network (but am not sure if that was due to this settings change or maybe I didn't wait long enough for DHCP to assign IP address to the CX when I was doing it for the first time).

After that I entered Upnp webpage, read the IP address of the port X001. Then I searched for CX in the "Add route dialog" by its IP address and there we go - I could finally see the route (without this manual entry of IP I still wasn't able to see CX just by clicking broadcast search). This manual configuration was sometimes also needed with CX1010, and sometimes I was able to see it instantly.

Last edited:
In the end I am not sure what did the trick - I played a little with my network settings in the Windows control panel and changed network type to public so after all I was able to see my CX in my laptop network (but am not sure if that was due to this settings change or maybe I didn't wait long enough for DHCP to assign IP address to the CX when I was doing it for the first time).

After that I entered Upnp webpage, read the IP address of the port X001. Then I searched for CX in the "Add route dialog" by its IP address and there we go - I could finally see the route (without this manual entry of IP I still wasn't able to see CX just by clicking broadcast search). This manual configuration was sometimes also needed with CX1010, and sometimes I was able to see it instantly.

Generally, it is better to use fixed IP address in CX instead of DHCP choice. In addition, for searching a CX it is better to follow these instructions:
1- Set the IP address of your computer in the range of IP address of your CX.
2- Turn off all firewalls on the PC or add TwinCAT to firewall exception list.(Also antivirus firewall)

Generally, it is better to use fixed IP address in CX instead of DHCP choice. In addition, for searching a CX it is better to follow these instructions:
1- Set the IP address of your computer in the range of IP address of your CX.
2- Turn off all firewalls on the PC or add TwinCAT to firewall exception list.(Also antivirus firewall)

Yes, I forgot to mention firewall. CX8090 has Windows Embedded CE installed so you cannot set fixed IP address before connecting to CX through Upnp webpage - there you can then disable DHCP and set the IP address you want.

CX8090 has Windows Embedded CE installed so you cannot set fixed IP address before connecting to CX through Upnp webpage - there you can then disable DHCP and set the IP address you want.
Of course you can. But first you should turn off the DS9 and DS10 and then CX8090 IP is by default 192.168.1.x which you can set x by DS1-8. Although, you can change the default range through UPNP. By the way, this address is valid for X101 and X102.

Of course you can. But first you should turn off the DS9 and DS10 and then CX8090 IP is by default 192.168.1.x which you can set x by DS1-8. Although, you can change the default range through UPNP. By the way, this address is valid for X101 and X102.

Yes, you can change IP settings with DIP switches only for ports X101 and X102, but to see the CX in TwinCAT System Manager you have to establish connection through X001, or am I wrong?

Yes, you can change IP settings with DIP switches only for ports X101 and X102, but to see the CX in TwinCAT System Manager you have to establish connection through X001, or am I wrong?
Yes, you can see CX also through X101 and X102(They are switched)and also program the CX. But for connecting CX to HMI or any other devices that you need real time communication, you must use X101 or X102.