connect PanelView 600 to the SLC500 DeviceNet

BestTime

Hi. I am trying to connect PanelView 600, though RIO to the SLC500 DeviceNet card. I do not know if possible, but any help will bring me further. Thanks.

Allen Bradley, PanelView 600, 2711-B6C1, Ser B, Rev A, FRN 3.02, Ports: RS232 (print) and RIO

Last edited:
What do I need to connect my SLC500, CPU 5/03, rack 13 cards, 11 Inputs and Outputs, one Devicenet card, to connect to the PV600?
What card would I need? Thanks

Last edited:
Your SLC5/03 supports DH485 and DF1 protocol.

I would look for a PV that supports one of those protocols or look at getting another brand that supports one of those. Or a Devicenet PV.

Devicenet and RIO are two completely different animals. If your application involves anything more than a few switches, simple on/off indicators, and a few values sent or received, like for instance menus, multiple screens, etc., I emphatically second the recommendation to avoid the RIO panelview.

This is because once you exceed what you can do within the PV rack space (max. eight words each of input and output IIRC) you graduate to exchanging data via block transfers. That means a lot more housekeeping and organization on your part.

When the PV 600 has RS232, it is apparently printer port. Can that be reconfigured as DF

The AUX/Printer port can ONLY be used to upload/download the program ( if it is not setup for a printer) or a printer. It cannot be used to communicate with a PLC.

I tried to establish the connection on the PV600, RS232 with the laptop, RSLogix 500, but not communicating. What driver should I use for, AB-DF1 or something else? I tried DF1 but the autoconfigure did not find anything...

First, be sure you're using the correct cable. PanelView serial ports use a straight-through serial cable, while connections to an SLC-5/0x port use a null-modem cable. If you are using a cable like the 1747-CP3, add a null-modem adapter.

Some USB/RS232 adapters don't work well with the Autoconfigure feature.

To configure the driver manually, leave all the settings at default (19200, 8/N/1, Full Duplex) and set Error Checking to CRC, and set Device Type to the category that includes PanelViews (I think that's the same as SLC/MicroLogix).