from Siemens to ABB

Hello every body

I used to use Siemens productS, Now my client need to upgrad his machine using ABB PM 860.

Can any body tell me what program " as simatic manager in S7" used to deal with this PLC???

If you please tell what are the Siemens SW products called are in ABB

1- Simatic manager or TIA portal
2- WINCC Flex or Wincc portal
3- WINCC7

Best regards

ABB's PLCs are the AC500 series. I would say that AC500eco is the equivalent of S7-1200 and AC500 is the equivalent of the S7-300. In my opinion it is a good product. The programming software is called Automation Builder and it is basically Codesys.
Regarding the HMI i think that ABB is hopeless. Their touch panels are ridiculusly expensive and their programming software is garbage. The hardware is very well made (I think it is rebranded Exor panels).
There is a SCADA package that is called Digivis500 but my ABB rep told me it was garbage and ABB stoped investing on it. That is how he managed to sell me ABB's compact HMI 800. This is basically the 800xa DCS system with the controller part shaved of. It has nothing to do with the philosophy of WinCC line of products as it descents from a DCS package. As in my country ABB does not sell 800xa to system integrators and it keeps it for herself, I would say that I am not pleased as there is no training, not great support and not many resources to develop your skills. I would never use it again unless I was forced into it. It is not the features of the software that I dont like, but it is rather the fact that ABB does not have a machine level HMI software to do simle tasks and they try to sell you a shaved DCS instead.
For the above mentioned reasons I keep using AC500 PLCs some times but with third party HMI software like Ignition, WinCC or even Codesys HMI.

P.S.: There is also the AC700 freelance series. This is advertised as PLC priced DCS, but I am not conviced.

Regards

Last edited:
ABB's PLCs are the AC500 series. I would say that AC500eco is the equivalent of S7-1200 and AC500 is the equivalent of the S7-300. In my opinion it is a good product. The programming software is called Automation Builder and it is basically Codesys.
Regarding the HMI i think that ABB is hopeless. Their touch panels are ridiculusly expensive and their programming software is garbage. The hardware is very well made (I think it is rebranded Exor panels).
There is a SCADA package that is called Digivis500 but my ABB rep told me it was garbage and ABB stoped investing on it. That is how he managed to sell me ABB's compact HMI 800. This is basically the 800xa DCS system with the controller part shaved of. It has nothing to do with the philosophy of WinCC line of products as it descents from a DCS package. As in my country ABB does not sell 800xa to system integrators and it keeps it for herself, I would say that I am not pleased as there is no training, not great support and not many resources to develop your skills. I would never use it again unless I was forced into it. It is not the features of the software that I dont like, but it is rather the fact that ABB does not have a machine level HMI software to do simle tasks and they try to sell you a shaved DCS instead.
For the above mentioned reasons I keep using AC500 PLCs some times but with third party HMI software like Ignition, WinCC or even Codesys HMI.

P.S.: There is also the AC700 freelance series. This is advertised as PLC priced DCS, but I am not conviced.

Regards

thanks for repaly :)

My clint has ABB PM 860 in his stock and we will use it

please advice about this cpu programming sw???

AC500 - ABB - Cyclic interrupts

How to make inside ABB Automation Builder ( Codesys)
same as in S7-300(Step 7) cyclic interrupts.
How to define that some OB is called every 20ms for an instance

The PM860 is not programmed with Automation Builder, but Compact Control Builder if you're just using the PLC and not the full 800xA-solution from ABB.