PV600 standard RS232 port.

Bering C Sparky

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all,

I just got back to work and of course there is more to do than one person can realistically be expected to take on, so I was hoping one of you could save me some reading and answer the below question for me.

Can the RS232 port on a 2711- TBC8L1 be used as a communication port for the PV instead of just for downloading and uploading or printing?

For instance can I connect the RS232 port to channel 0 on a SLC5/05 processor and have the PV communicate with the PLC that way.(Will that work?)
Or is this PV going to be DH+ only for comms.

I see on the application settings page that it is listed as a Aux Port and gives the option of setting it to download or printing. (which is what got me thinking that maybe you cant use it as a comm port for DF1.)

This PV (and the PLC for that matter) were connected to a DH+ network, but I just changed out the processor to a 5/05 and changed some larger PV's to PV+ using Ethernet.
I thought I could use the existing PV600 and just connect it to channel 0 using the RS232 port on the PV, but now that I am at that step I am thinking this may not work and I will need to upgrade that PV also.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

BCS

The RS-232 port on that PanelView Standard terminal is only for printing or for upload/download.

You are correct that it cannot be used for runtime communication to a controller.

Sell it on the aftermarket to somebody who needs a spare, and choose your platform for replacement.

Hi Ken,
As always...Thank you very much for your knowledgeable input, saved me some much needed time looking it up.

Calling NC now to see what they have on the shelf.

Thanks,
BCS