Remote access to Siemens plcs through 3/4G

orense

Hi,

We have a plant running with 4 Siemens 315-2DP.

At the moment I have set up a Westermo switch, in which we can connect through a VPN. In order for us to do this the company that owns the plant have to plug the ethernet cable into their main router, otherwise we are physically disconnected from Internet. It is their policy to do this for security purposes. They do not want to have a constant connection to Internet through their router.

I would like to do it differently. I would like to connect our plcs directly to Internet.

The plcs have Ethernet CP343-1 Lean cards in their racks.

Do you know if there is any device I can connect to the Siemens rack, which has a SIM card so that I can get online through 3/4G ?

I would like to monitor the plcs, and run a webbrowser on the Siemens panels that we have there.

Anyone who knows if this is possible ?

Thanks !

First, I would say that you shouldn't try to go around the plant's wishes. If they are uncomfortable having the machines connected to the internet, they might have a reason.

Second, cell modems work well in theory, but in practice, they often have bad coverage inside plants. At least here in the US, most factories are built like bomb shelters (actually, most of the old ones ARE bomb shelters), and you couldn't get a cell signal inside to save your life.

Third, if you're already using Siemens PLC's, you might want to ask your Siemens rep what options they have. I've seen them marketing cell modems here in the US. I assume they work with many countries' phone networks.