Changing a Panelview Plus IP Address on an existing system

Rob S.

Good Afternoon ,

I am modifying an existing system . This system presently has the following......

MicroLogix 1500 Serial Communication
Panelview Plus 700 using serial communication IP Address 190.190.192.54

The first phase of this modification is to put in a CompactLogix 1769-L18.
communicating with 3) PowerFlex 40's with 22-COMM-E cards in them.

My plans are to put some motor control on the PanelView Plus 700 that will control the 3) Powerflex 40's thru the CompactLogix L18.

I want to keep the MicroLogix 1500 communicating with the Panelview Plus 700 via serial and Ethernet , but change the IP Address's to a scheme of the following.....

CompactLogix 1769-L18 192.168.100.1
PowerFlex 40 ( 22-COMM-E ) 192.168.100.2
PowerFlex 40 ( 22-COMM-E ) 192.168.100.3
PowerFlex 40 ( 22-COMM-E ) 192.168.100.4

PanelView Plus 700
Change IP Address from 190.190.192.54 to 192.168.100.5

My question is , do you see any communication problems because I change the IP Address on the Panelview Plus 700 screen ?

Thanks so much for your help.

Hi

Your addresses look fine but why do you want to connect to the 1500 via serial and Ethernet

Donnchadh

I would like to keep the Micrologix 1500 running as is , until I have an opportunity to change the entire PLC out. You can run 2 communication paths on a Panelview Plus , correct ?

Yes, the PV+ can have two shortcuts, one for each PLC.

Having everything on the same network can create problems when there is I/O (drives) and the HMI competing for bandwidth. I am not an expert by any stretch in this area, so I would have to let others comment on the details of whether or not Unicast messaging and/or a managed switch can be used to alleviate or prevent this sort of issue.

What you're proposing should be fine. The only thing I'd be slowing down to think about is: why has there been an IP address set in the HMI? Was it just so someone could program it via ethernet previously, or is it actually doing something with that ethernet connection? If there's nothing plugged into the ethernet port, then you're obviously OK, but if it's connected to a network of any sort, I'd be looking deeper.

As far as OkiePC's comment about competing for bandwidth - I'm no expert either but from personal experience with just PLC+HMI+3 drives in the picture, you should be fine.

I imagine you need the IP Address to download the application that you develop , correct ?

If you intend to download it over ethernet, yes. You can also download via serial, although obviously that would mean unplugging the connection to the PLC.

Donnchadh's advice is important too, if it's a compact version that will put a big hole in your plans!