Siemens to AB Message

madunlap

Hello,
I’m looking to write a message from a Siemens 317 processor to an AB L71 processor.

There will only be 4 to 5 BOOL’s that I need to read from the AB in the Siemens. Probably use a simple word I just can’t remember how to do it with Siemens.

If you need to send a message from one side to the other, the first step is to find a communication protocol that both sides support. To choose a protocol, you need to know how much data you are sending (which you said), and also how often you need to send it.

S7 PLCs do not support Ethernet/IP. Logix PLCs have third party communication modules that support Profibus or Profinet, the main protocols for the S7 side. You can also use simple TCP messaging over Ethernet, which is supported by the S7 CPUs and most of the newer communications cards for the Logix side.

You can also use HW gateways, to translate IO data between Profinet/Profibus and Ethernet/IP.

That being said, if you would have to buy any of the above mentioned modules, you might want to consider using a couple of DO's and DI's if you got any spares.

Thank you both for the quick replys. I have all of the hardware already both PLC are currently on eithernet talking across my company network.
I can't remember the instructions used with Siemens, FB,FC...

As mk42 said, Siemens and AB use different protocols to communicate. Even though both are based on ethernet and can be on the same ethernet network, Ethernet-I/P (AB's protocol) and Profinet(Siemens protocol) are different and cannot communicate natively with each other. Therefore, to make the two communicate, I do not believe it will be as simple as setting a message instruction. As mk42 stated, you will probably need some kind of gateway to translate the different communication protocols.

Thank you both for the quick replys. I have all of the hardware already both PLC are currently on eithernet talking across my company network.

How do you have it hooked up?

There is a million ways of doing things like these.

You may want to share your project for us to give you an effective answer.

If you are using TCP to communicate (commonly called open socket messaging or Open user communication), then the Siemens blocks are probably T_Send/T_RECV, along with some blocks to handle connection and disconnection. If you are using a CP instead of a built-in Ethernet port, then the commands would be AG_Send/AG_Recv.