Drawing a PLC diagram

Wooleyb

I am a new student to PLC's how do you draw a diagram showing a PLC circuit using 1 switch with a push button to turn a light on and push the same button to shut the light off using 2 lines with binary outputs

First, I'll be a smarta$$ and answer the question you asked:

With a pencil. A pencil is preferred because if you find you've made a mistake or you discover a better method, the technology exists (eraser) to return to a previous state.

Now a more helpful response:

This question has been posted frequently. Search the archives of theis site using the keyword 'flip flop'.

Now back to the sarcasm. Before you try your hand at PLC programming, how about taking Punctuation 101. Also, the "apostrophe s" construction (as in PLC's) indicates the possessive, not the plural.

Wooleyb didn't like my answer. I received this PM.

I agree you are a smart A$$. You may not like my punctuation but you seem to have a problem spelling. Your advice did not help so dont respond unless you know the correct answer
When I did a search using the keyword 'flip flop', I got 30 hits. Some of them even contained sample code.

Steve

Am I doing it wrong?

I've always started with a pencil and a piece of paper, even 30 years ago in the relay days.

I normally don't fire up cad or write a program until I have a huge stack of paper.

I don't charge by the hour, but by the pound (of paper).

regards.....casey

I dont do as much as most of you guys but I use pencil and paper any time I build or rebuild machinery. I also use pencil and paper when I get into detailed troubleshooting.

As for a drawing, just about any plc manual has basic connection drawings.

FYI: The people here have paid their dues in this field, in most cases they didnt have the internet to get answers to questions. This question is basically so simple that your textbook(s) should offer enough information to get you started. Once you have done something then post that and ask if it looks right. If you look closely at the older posts you will see that the members here can be very helpful BUT you are required to make an attempt of your own. The reason for this is simple, Tell me and I forget, Show me and I remember, Involve me and I understand. The only way you will learn is by doing, not copying what others have done.

As to the question itself, I dont really understand what you want exactly. You want the code for a flip flop (one pushbutton to turn a light etc off or on) OR do you want a drawing to show how to WIRE this? Steve clearly answered the question by telling you to search for flip flop if you are looking for the code. As I mentioned before most plc manuals have basic wiring diagrams.

the "apostrophe s" construction (as in PLC's) indicates the possessive, not the plural.
I beg to differ:
where I went to school this was the way to make acronyms and numbers plural (e.g. 1's and 0's). Particularly with acronyms it can also indicate possession - it depends on context.

However, we never discussed (to my recollection) the proper construct for the plural possessive of an acronym.

Steve,

don't worry being called a smartass, especially if you look who's calling names. If wooleyb is too lazy to even use a search engine on the internet, even after being told to, it's better he never finds the answer to his question.

I tend to meet a couple of those kind of guys every year in my classes. The only way to treat them is to let them bite the dust. Some of them can be saved, because after that they eat some humble pie and start really learning. Some are hardheaded and react as wooleyb did. I consider them lost for the trade.

Kind regards,

jvdcande said:
...Some are hardheaded and react as wooleyb did. I consider them lost for the trade.

Not to worry, there are other 'trades' out there. Wooleyb can readily change his search phrase from 'flip flop' to 'flip burger'... ;)

I'd better go make some room in my inbox... utoh

beerchug

-Eric

Steve Bailey said:

With a pencil. A pencil is preferred because if you find you've made a mistake or you discover a better method, the technology exists (eraser) to return to a previous state.

Hate to take you to task Steve but you should use a pen simply because it CAN'T be erased. How many good ideas did you lose because you erased them? Another thing, red-lining drawings for corrections are usually done with a pen so that you can color code incremental hand-drawn corrections.

I haven't been called a smart-a$$ in a while. Has my time come...

(8{)} ( .)

(Yosi)

Yosi, your point is well taken. As long as you're not talking about a Mobius strip, there is more than one side to every issue.

Gerry, I can understand using the apostrophe s to denote the plural of single-letter symbols (cross your i's and dot your t's), but why should a multi-letter acronym be treated any differently than a noun? For that matter, what part of speech is an acronym? Is it a noun? If not, then what?

Attention Terry Woods, it's time to tangent!

I think that an acronym should be treated as a noun if all the original words where nouns.

As far as full sentences (ROTFLMAO,TCOB, RTFM, etc.) I throw my hands up.

You are right. I suppose I should have phrased that as "if the acronym represents an object it should be treated as a noun."
Boy, some people... ;)

beerchug

I just figured it out...

Steve, as it has been shown over time, is the intellegent, which also can also be referred to as "SMART".

Hense, a SMART*$$.

wooleyb, however, is much less intellegent, and falls into the "DUMB" category, herein referred to as a DUMB*$$.

ERIC

With flip-flop he can still be a politician.

Back to drawing, I would still like to draw all my input and output pages by hand. I have a couple of dozen templates that I have (will) never used.

I make a page for each input and output card, showing the wire number, terminal point, interfacing (customer or machine number if different), and machine input device (PD, LS, prox, etc) or output device (solenoid, lite, etc). Generally, I can make these by hand quicker than CAD. I also view it as theraputic.

Anyway, first start with a pencil and a big piece of paper...

regards.....casey

I need to work on my own flip flop button, my light didnt go OUT on my last post...whoops