RS Linx will not talk to Control Logics

Bob Aber

Rs Linx can talk to Control logics through WiFi (VLan) network but it won't talk to it thru the Ethernet port. Any ideas why? In fact I have 2 laptops doing the same thing. Windows 7 version. Have a older laptop that will connect.

Are you using both WiFi and wired Ethernet simultaneously ?

Many computers don't handle being "dual homed" gracefully; how they behave depends on a bunch of finicky configurations but largely it's a matter of "are your WiFi and Ethernet adapters on different networks or not".

One thing that's handy to check is to go to the RSLinx Classic EtherNet/IP driver, right-click and select "Configure Driver". This window allows you to select which network adapter the EtherNet/IP driver tries to use.

As usual, try tools like PING and HTTP (put the IP address of the ControlLogix into the address bar of a web browser) to verify your connectivity before you troubleshoot RSLinx.

I do turn off the wifi and set the address in the eithernet adapter settings for the ethernet card in the rack, I do set last bit different not to have conflict on what I'm looking for,

One thing that is irritating about a lot of new laptop's power saving features is the Ethernet adapter may shut off if it doesn't sense any activity on boot. In fact the Acer I have now I've never figured out how to activate the wired Ethernet adapter except to have the Ethernet cable plugged into the laptop before I power up. Might be something to try.

Also when connecting to the wired Ethernet, are you connecting directly to the Controllogix are to an Ethernet switch? Is it a managed switch? It is possible that IT has configured the extra ports of that switch to a VLAN that isn't accessible to the Controllogix except by certain MACs, mainly your old laptop. You could try connecting temporarily through an unmanaged switch to see if that is an issue.