Rscompanion

ddrum24

I AM TRYING TO GET A DEMO CD OF RSCOMPANION . BUT THE LOCAL ROCKWELL DISTRIBUTORS SAY THE DONT HAVE THEM (LIARS). I HAVE SENT ROCKWELL EMAILS BUT BECAUSE I AM AN INDIVIDUAL AND NOT A BIG COMPANY THEY DONT CARE ABOUT ME AND WONT EVEN RETURN MY EMAILS. SO DOES ANY ONE HAVE A DEMO DISC THAT THEY MIGHT GIVE AWAY OR SALE OR TELL ME WHERE I CAN GET ONE. AS FAR AS I KNOW DEMO'S ARE NOT ILLEGAL TO COPY OR GIVE AWAY BUT I COULD BE WRONG. THANKS Y'ALL

Gee...

I'm really sorry about that ddrum24 (where do people get these names... their parents must have been very cruel!).

That reminds me... there is an assistant dental tech at my Dentist's office. His name is SMURF... no kiddin'... no middle name or initial... just SMURF... really, SMURF.

He's a great guy. He does a hell of a job. He freely admits that his folks were... well... in the 60's. Nuff said?

ddrum24, this might be a "wake-up and smell the coffee" kinda thing.
(or maybe, a wake-up and watch the Saturday cartoons kinda thing... what did you name your kids?)

well actually the name is David, ddrum24 was my id number on my stage pass (i used to play drums) and no my parents arent cruel . maybe you need to wake up and smell the coffee because in this century its called a "user name" :D :D :D

thanks they had a lot of good info but the downloads were not a demo just some info . i need a disc or dowloadable demo program i can take to my engineering manager so i can talk them into buying it. banghead :unsure:

I don't know why Gerry's link didn't point to where you could download a demo. With a website named www.RSCOMPANION.com, I'd expect to be able to try out the product... :rolleyes:

A Google search for "RSCompanion demo" resulted in THIS page at Rockwell that offers a downloadable demo (look on the right side).

beerchug

-Eric

I'm trying to stay on-topic here, but it's been a long Saturday at work and I'm a little frayed.

If you can, ddrum24, ratchet down the tone and volume a little bit. I don't enjoy being called a liar any more than you enjoy not having your phone calls returned.

I don't think that your RA distributor has any demo discs for RSCompanion. I sure couldn't find any in my trove of CD's. They also don't have demo disks for PanelBuilder or RSLogix 5 or any of a couple of dozen low-volume or factored products. RSCompanion was itself supposed to be a low-end introduction to RSTrainer (for which I think there *are* demo discs, but that's not what you asked for).

Thank you, Eric, for pointing out this link for download of a demonstration version of RSCompanion.

ddrum24, I hope this convinces your engineering manager to help you out with this productivity tool. The users I've talked to who use it find it a good step-by-step "wizard" product and rate it second only to the Common Procedure Guides in usefulness.

(By the way, Eric, I stole your smiley and am putting it right next to my "DeviceNet is the Devil's Network" logo.)

Last edited:
Ken Roach said:
(By the way, Eric, I stole your smiley and am putting it right next to my "DeviceNet is the Devil's Network" logo.)

Glad to hear you found it 'useful'... ;)

beerchug

-Eric

Overall I think AB and its reps are getting a bad rap because of issues like this. RA/AB has a very extensive website that offers downloads/demos/literature (some are legacy) at no cost...IT IS possible to download a version of RSLogix for free, a starter kit for the ML1000. http://www.ab.com/plclogic/micrologix/1000/

Grocery stores sometimes have company reps offer samples of food to taste but would you walk into the store and demand a package to take home to sample?

Car dealers offer demo rides but would you demand to keep the car for a month or more to test?

Would you demand a tire company allow you to use their tires for a month or more.

Better yet would you work for someone for a week, month or more as a demo (no pay) to see if they like your work?

There are procedures to follow in any endeavor, some times it requires patience and time to determine the "path" to use to obtain what is needed/wanted. If you talked to the reps in the manner you posted the request here its easy to understand why you didnt get any assistance.

My analogies may not be the best examples but this "NEW COMPUTER/INTERNET WORLD" we now live in seems to make people "assume" that any software should be free and available for download. I dont understand why or how this assumption came to be.b

thanks to those with info and links to help out.as for ab reps i did not intend to bash all reps but the ab reps in this area are down right sorry as he#$. if you aint got milions they wont even acknowledge that you are in the store and i have had some to actually hang up the phone on me when i tell them i am not calling from my company that i am calling for myself.rsdoran my phone coversations and emails are always very polite i say dont advertise free demos if you cant deliver, have found hundreds of links for free demo cd. then all you get is excuses, as for your analogies i dont advertise something free and dont deliver or make it where it cant be obtained. if rockwell doesnt want to give them out they dont need to advertise them as "FREE DEMO CD". But as for rockwell automation headquarters (well i cant put on here what i think of them). the ab bashing link was cool but i cant figure out how to get it on here. again thanks to all beerchug

Last edited:
I'm confused. You say that there are "hundreds of links" that advertise demo CD's for A-B.... can you cite one that advertises a demo CD for RSCompanion ?

I'm just not seeing where A-B is engaging in any misrepresentation on this issue.

Your relationship with your dealer and how they treat you might turn out to have two sides.

Last edited:
Hi Ken:

(MUCH EDITED RANT)

I am as guilty as many on the site when it comes to AB bashing. I know that many regulars on here, including many that trash AB, do have a lot of respect for you. I was thinking earlier of starting a thread on problems with AB distributors, but it has been the beaten dead horse so many times, I will just ramble on here.

I love AB pilot devices, specially when the customer is footing the bill. I learned on the PLC2, spent the next nine years doing AB exclusively. Then I walked into (BIG TIRE PLANT), thinking I was getting the part of the plant with AB. For whatever reason, I got the section with about 20 different brands of PLCs, including around 300 GE Fanucs. That changed my life.

AB is fun to bash, because they are the big guy. They are considerably more expensive than other PLCs. The software isn't the easiest to learn or use. The manuals can make you yank hands full of hair. Software is expensive, then having to pony up extra hay to keep it running burns me. Factory Support around here has typically been geared toward the Engineering Manager, not the Engineer, or the poor technician out there.

NOW, When you call a distributor, the first thing they ask you is who you are with. My how the tone of their voice changes when you are a little guy. Since I worked contract for many many small facilities, I experienced this a lot. When I called in from the "BIG" tire manufacturer, that was a different story. The price multipliers that the smaller companies get is pathetic. I don't notice this at all with suppliers of other major manufactures. Trying to get prices is always an ordeal. Local customer service around here doesn't exist. The industrial guy (notice I didn't say PLC or Automation) retired at 50, he wasn't replaced. Here's our product, take it or leave it.

I am looking into some of the smaller AB products, but NOT getting much info from local distributors. Website doesn't direct me where I want to go. I can pick up the phone and call several different GE Fanuc distributors and get info, prices, and litterature fast, even though I have never bought from them and am not in their areas.

The relationship with the AB dealer MAY have two sides in some cases, but when they never heard of you before, then it is OBVIOUS!

Take Care Sir

.......casey

Last edited:
It's all about relationships...

As with anything else that deals with people, it's all about relationships and how they are cultivated. Granted, if all you deal with are your area sales contact you may get a pretty jaded view of your idstributor. His focus is solidly on his personal sales volume. It is in his FAMILY'S best interest for him to focus on his largest customers as they will make him the largest income. This may not be to everyone's liking but it is CAPITOLISM. And last I checked the 20 year average on the New York Stock Exchange is still about 12% per annum, so capitolism works.
But I very seldom deal with my sales rep. I deal with the inside people. When I call my distributor they don't ask me who I'm with. They recognize me by name and the sound of my voice. Why? Because I CALL them once in a while and (just imagine) I actually BUY something once in a while.
I'm with an OEM, and NOT a particularly large one at that. The Rockwell marketing model means I will get almost NO attention from the sales guns. Their focus is on MY customers so my customers tell me to use Rockwell products. Even so I still get everything out of my AB rep that I need just because I have figured out who to call just like I have figured out to look at PLCS.net for automation answers.
The user/rep relationship is a RELATIONSHIP; it needs to be cultivated so it doesn't turn into a running battle.

Maybe it's just because I'm married.

Keith

THANK YOU CASEY!!!!!. you hit the nail square on the head. as for ken you want to see the links i am speaking of go to google and type "rscompanion demo cd" and see if rockwells website doesnt pop up many times. distributors are the big guy and if i aint got more money than your supply store then they look down on us little people and that is the reason that i am strongly considering a crusade to rid our company of all AB stuff simply because "most" of rockwell and "most" of there distributors are a buch of rich stuck ups. i dont give a damn how much the stuff costs but to me great service and a good relationship with customers is what it is all about. lets face it allen bradley is the best in the automation market....but their people skills suck tremendously. sorry yall i had bad night at work it is monday ya know

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom