SLC -> Logix Conversion with serial

jolyrojr

Hello,

I have read through a few of the other related threads, and I have not found one that answers this.

I am looking to convert from a slc to a CompactLogix. we will use the 1747-AENTR for the remote IO but we still lose a serial port in the conversion and all modules that fit the slc that could add that functionality are expressly not compatible.

So I guess that would leave us with a serial to Ethernet device server, right?

What would be a good way to go? What would require the least amount of programming time to fix the translated code?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank Alan,

This particular serial device is a scale, part of an industrial packaging system.

they are ascii writes to the scale for password and calibration and ascii reads to attain the current weight and such.

Four recommendations come to mind:

1. 1734-AENT POINT I/O Adapter with 1734-232ASC module.
2. HMS Anybus Communicator
3. Red Lion DataStation Plus
4. Real-Time Automation 460-series gateway

The POINT and ANYBUS devices will give you the best performance, and the POINT will require no third party configuration outside of Logix 5000.

The RTA gateway is by far the easiest to set up and configure.

All the transmit and receive logic will need to be re-written because you won't be using ASCII commands on the serial port.

Hi

I have done some projects like this and I would go the point I/o route. It may be a little more expensive but you will save it very quickly from my past experience

Donnchadh

Hi

The compact logix l32e, l35e, l43 and the l45 all have built in serial ports.
They are not supported above ver 20 so I suppose they are been phased out but you can still buy them and due to the amount that have been installed you should be able to get them from other places bar ab for years to come

Donnchadh

Thanks for the input Ken!

I am not familiar enough with AB hardware, is the 1734-AENT POINT IO compatible with the 1747_AENTR?

The RTA gateway is by far the easiest to set up and configure.

All the transmit and receive logic will need to be re-written because you won't be using ASCII commands on the serial port.

IS that just for the RTA, or for any of the options?

To use the 1734-232ASC serial module, you'll have to buy a separate 1734-AENT or 1734-AENTR adapter. This is a totally different modern modular I/O platform from the 1746 series stuff you are retaining.

My comments about having to re-write the logic would apply to all the options.

Your current logic is probably using AWT and ARD instructions to send and receive strings on the SLC-500's serial port.

Those instructions still exist in the ControlLogix, but as you have seen they relate only to the serial port on the models of CompactLogix and ControlLogix that have serial ports.

There is no device that supports AWT and AWA and ARD instructions to an expansion module or a networked device.

My vote would be for the RTA device; they deserve their reputation for being easy to configure and use.

CompactLogix also offers a 1769-ASCII card. This well let you add serial connections to the local I/O on your CompactLogix processor.

You didn't mention which CompactLogix you were using, but of course the 1769-ASCII doesn't work with the POINT I/O based 1769-L16 and -L18.

I didn't mention it because I consider it to be the most difficult to configure and use of all the solutinons I've tried. I would use it only if I had to keep everything in the 1769 Compact platform.