PanelView 550 communication

BestTime

Hi. I have now a PanleView 550 (2711-B5A2, Rev A, FRN 4.20) and try to establish communication with the RS500.
Tried directly between laptop and PV550 with the 1747-PIC box. Don't see anything on RSLinx.
Tried through the SLC503 cpu (RJ plug, DH485). On PV550 the comm LED is steady on, but could not see on the RSlinx. PanlBuilder did not see it either.
When trying to upload, PanleBuilder is giving me this: Error (1022) - Target is not an operator terminal.
Tried to wipe out the memory on th PV550 but dont know how.
Either communication way would be ok.

Last edited:
First of all are you using a real serial port on your laptop? The PIC will not work without it.

The PIC needs power, your PV will not provide this, See link below for one solution.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=93036&postcount=6

And pdf for another.

Your best bet is a 1747-UIC ( USB to DH485 converter) See link

http://www.plccable.com/allen-bradley-1747-uic-usb-to-dh485-usb-version-1747-pic-slc-500/

For the connection between the PV and your SLC5/03's RJ45 port the cable should be a1747-C10,11 or 20.
Baud rates must be the same , node addresses must be different.
Does the PV already have a program in it? Can you get to the configuration screen of the PV to check its comm setup?

Or a memory card to upload/download the PV's program. See pdf

Last edited:
I can connect the laptop with RS232 to SLC503 cpu. From CPU i connect PVC550 with
1747-C10 cable. When I do this, the COMM LED is staedy on PV550 but still can`t see anything on RSlinx

Yes, I have a real serial port on the Panasonic CF52 laptop.

Good, see my comments about the PIC needing power.

Also what operating system are you running on your laptop. The PIC is very old, its not going to work with the newer stuff. XP SP2 or SP3 with a patch should work.

Using XP. SP2.
The reason I kept SP2 is this way I can still use the old PIC box if I need..
As I mentioned, now im connected with RS232 to the CPU. From CPU is connected with DH485 cable to the PV550. Comm LED is staedy, meaning the communication is good.
Now what? First I wanted to clear the memory in PV550 to have it fresh. But can't communicate...

When I change in RSLIinx: from SLC-CH0/Micro.. to 1770-KF3/... the 5/03 CPU is crossed and no PV appears. the Passthru Link ID is not clear for me. Where need to be set the number 4?

The ID links just have to be different for Ch0 and Ch1 see first page of the PDF I posted.

As far a seeing the SLC in RSLinx. Make sure the cable is correct (null-modem cable) and
check the SLC's comm port settings so they match RSLinx's settings.
Do you have the offline file for the SLC? If so check the port settings.

The cable I use to program theh SLC5/03. That works for sure. I can upload/download/monitor everything on CPU.
From CPU to PV550 is the cable 1747-c10. When I plug it in, the Comm LED becomes steady, no flashing anymore. That means for me is good communication. On PV550 screen: DH-485, Max node:31, Node: 2, Baud: 19200, Comm Led ON.

Have you made the necessary changes to the SLC's comm ports and the SLC's status files to support passthru?

Node address of the SLC's DH485 port different then the PV?

Does your SLC have the necessary OS and frn ( OS302 C FRN 7) to support passthru? See pdf

Last edited:
SLC500, 5/03, 1747-L531, OS302, FRN 10. That should work.
I made the change for pass thru, Status bits: S:34/0 =1, S:34/5 = 1
It looks like the memory wipe worked and managed to clear the memory.
But still can't write to PV anything....

I forgot to mention: now, after the wipe, the PV screen tells me:
"Required network node(s) not found".
The communication settings are the same. Comm LED still steady ON.

I made a little program in PanelBuilder, Validated it. Validate Passed, No errors.
When download: what transfer type should I select?
1- DF1 Point-to-point--RSLinx AB_DF!-1
2-RSLinx Network
3-Remote I/O Pass-Through
4-Memory Card
Well, I am not using memory card, but which of the first 3 is the correct one?
Thanks, you are really big help for me.