OT | This should bolster the VM business.

I saw this the other day as well and instantly thought how it would affect automation products and computer purchases especially for SCADA systems. Certainly pushes groups toward ritualized solutions and/or other software platforms.

Should get interesting!

Why get all bent out of shape? Technology changes.

Current OS's don't support the 8086, 80286, 6502, 68000 ... either.

The Web (for general use) is only 25 years old, and has gone through so many technology changes it is impossible to keep up. The Lynx Browser is still out there, and still updated, but pointing it at almost any website is disappointing due to technology changes.

I don't understand all the MicroSoft hate either. MS has been around since the beginning of personal computing, and has created many standards that make everything work together. You don't want to use MS, fine, but I don't get the hate.

I think everyone understands that technology changes. But it changes faster than companies adapt. Personally, I don't see a significant impact until an IT department gets involved. Experience tells me that if something isn't supported, then IT won't allow it. The conflict arises when an IT department has ownership of manufacturing computers and they purchase new computers which require Windows 10 to be in 'support'. IT wants the warm fuzzy of 'support'. However if software that runs production isn't compatible yet, or requires extensive and costly updates to be Windows 10 compatible, this is where the pain and politics will be felt the most.

I don't think there is much hate for Microsoft in our industry, anyway I hate no one or no company.
What I do hate is to see the end of competition. As competition is what keeps quality up and prices in check.
🍺

The Engineering field especially is very ingenious and will always find ways to make things work better and faster but again lack of competition and available options slows this down. Look at the fast and furious growth of computers back in the hay-days of the "PC" battles. Yes there is more 'uniformity' now but I see no evidence that this is making things better for the industry or bolstering the kind of competition that is beneficial to all in any way.

Current OS's don't support the 8086, 80286, 6502, 68000 ... either.

The Web (for general use) is only 25 years old, and has gone through so many technology changes it is impossible to keep up. The Lynx Browser is still out there, and still updated, but pointing it at almost any website is disappointing due to technology changes.

I don't understand all the MicroSoft hate either. MS has been around since the beginning of personal computing, and has created many standards that make everything work together. You don't want to use MS, fine, but I don't get the hate.

minor correction: the web is 20 years old for general use, it was invented in 1989-1990, it wasn't until 1995 that you could get a subscription with an ISP
There are times when I miss being able to log into the local university with my 300 baud dial up modem and read the latest tech gossip. :rolleyes:

Paully's5.0,

True in most cases. I'm in the IT department with an electrical degree and we control all the pc's from administrative to manufacturing. We also do all the plc, wonderware, website, and barcode programming and modifications.

We are currently replacing all the older pc's and installing Windows 7 everywhere, but before we do, we test the programs in our office for a week or two to ensure everything works and don't assume anything. we run 24/7/365 with only a few days of shutdown so we can't afford program issues.

We use vm's where required, and you are correct about the obsolete software.
We still have applications running on Windows 2k vm because there is no updates.

I think the main problem with most IT departments is they try to enforce their own rules on everyone thinking all will be fine, when in reality, it creates problems.

regards,
james

I think the main problem with most IT departments is they try to enforce their own rules on everyone thinking all will be fine, when in reality, it creates problems.

regards,
james

I have served in IT Engineering and IT Management roles in addition to Engineering roles with OEM's and manufacturing plants so I have dealt with it from both sides of the fence and there are good points for the argument on both side but I agree with your statement here 100% James.