Allen Bradley 1761-NET-ENI EtherNet/IP Communication Interface

We have over 16 of these units running in our facility right now. We have them tied to SLC-503 and Micrologix 1200 controllers. They have been running for over 4 years and we have had no issues out of them. The hardest part is setting up MSG instructions if you want to do PEER/PEER communications. Once the serial ports are set and the MSG instructions are ready it's off to the races.

You can also use the Lantronix CPR (COM Port Redirector) software to config the NET-ENI over the ethernet, otherwise you have to do it locally via serial. It takes a little work, but once set up it works great. You shouldn't have to reconfig the NET-ENI this is just in case.

Just don't expect it to be nearly as fast as a PLC-5E or an Ethernet sidecar. The Ethernet/Serial connection is a little slower than a straight DF1 serial connection.

One common gotcha; the Net-ENI supports only CRC error checking on the DF1 port. The PLC-5 defaults to BCC, but you can change the port setting to CRC, probably at the same time as you're turning up the serial port data rate to 19200.