New RA PanelView Plus

Oceansoul

I have been given the task at work to replace a legacy VersaView 1500W industrial touchscreen PC running an RSView32 HMI project. This is communicating with a PLC 5 via DH+. The PLC5 is to be replaced by contractors later, but the HMI is not part of their project.

The logical progression is new VersaView 1700P and migrate the project to FTViewSE which is what my original plan was. However, "the powers that be" wish us to get away from PC based HMI and migrate the project to FTViewME running on a PanelView Plus. Obviously this is more work.

I have migrated the RSView32 project to FTViewSE then exported the tag database. Then imported this into FTViewME. Are there any problems doing this? I know I'll have to re draw the 50 odd mimics and pop ups.

As for hardware, I guess I'll have to use PVP 6 as I'll need the comms module for DH+. What's the difference between the new PVP7, PVP5500 & PVP800 terminals?

However, "the powers that be" wish us to get away from PC based HMI and migrate the project to FTViewME running on a PanelView Plus. Obviously this is more work.

Wow. Do they also want you to stop using programming laptops and go back to handheld programmers? Not the point, I know, but...sheesh. Talk about shortsighted.

I have migrated the RSView32 project to FTViewSE then exported the tag database. Then imported this into FTViewME. Are there any problems doing this? I know I'll have to re draw the 50 odd mimics and pop ups.

I can't see that you'll have any problems with the tag database - I've never done this myself so can't be completely sure but AFAIK that's how it's supposed to work. You can potentially also save yourself some re-drawing by exporting and importing the graphic displays. Obviously there'll be a lot of work still required as SE has lots more objects in it's toolbox than ME, but it might at least get you the framework in place (remind me again why you're not just using SE?)

As for hardware, I guess I'll have to use PVP 6 as I'll need the comms module for DH+. What's the difference between the new PVP7, PVP5500 & PVP800 terminals?

I think you're right. The PVP5500 is designed only for Logix controllers (Compact or Control), and AFAIK the PVP7 is only available with Ethernet. Can't tell you anything about the PVP800, except that it's nowhere near as good as using a PC-based SE setup (OK, I'll stop now :) )

Wow. Do they also want you to stop using programming laptops and go back to handheld programmers? Not the point, I know, but...sheesh. Talk about shortsighted.

VersaViews aren't exactly known for reliability, so they may be scared of the hassle it's been to replace these when they do fail. That's my suspicion anyway. They fail, and when a replacement is needed much more of a hassle than reloading a PV+ application. I've seen many fail just after the warranty period, which between the $$ to replace and hassle of it all, I can understand the drive.

Had one customer he came from the automotive industry and hated the redundant FTViewSE setup they had (granted this was in the 3.2/4.0 days), he was pushing to move to all PV+ systems and this was a large facility. Part of his reasoning was because the redundant system failed when they were doing maintenance on one of their power distribution systems. Turned out the redundant servers were getting power from the same source. Poor planning on their part, but the production consequences made FTViewSE the scapegoat.

Agree on the VersaView poor reliability. I've found most integrated "Panel PC's" are pretty poor on the reliability end, and now only allow split brick PC's and touchscreens. No issues there.

"PVP 5500" is not quite right, they are called PanelView 5500's (no plus). Or rather, they are known as the PanelView 5000 series. They are a new product line that moves away from FactoryTalk View Studio as development platform, they use the new Logix View Designer to develop. View Designer started being bundled with Studio 5000 at around V27 if I'm not mistaken.

I will also agree on the Versaview as I have not had the best experience with reliability using them either.

A Panelview terminal is much more reliable than a Versaview, Panel PC or split PC and monitor running FT View.

This is largely because the Panelview is dedicated definite purpose hardware, software and OS and a dedicated performance based OS is always better than a Windows OS where reliability is concerned.

With that being said though there is a breaking point where the application complexity, amount of screens needed, Frequency of application changes, etc justify going with a PC based solution running a Windows OS even though it has a lower level of reliability than the definite purpose HMI terminal.

As with anything else in the indusry it's very application and needs specific. There is no one size fits all solution that's right for everything. Sometimes a Panelview type terminal is the best solution and sometimes a PC based solution is best it just depends.

"PVP 5500" is not quite right, they are called PanelView 5500's (no plus). Or rather, they are known as the PanelView 5000 series. They are a new product line that moves away from FactoryTalk View Studio as development platform, they use the new Logix View Designer to develop. View Designer started being bundled with Studio 5000 at around V27 if I'm not mistaken.

The PanelView 5500 series is also very limited on the software end. For now they should only be used for very simplistic projects but I don't feel like salesmen are sharing that as well as they should and know of a case where someone planned to use one and was not able to do the job needed and had to change solutions which resulted in a lot of lost time.