Rockwell PLC -- How to know when MobileView is connected?

mikek

I'm using the new display panel from Rockwell - a MobileView Operator Terminal and CompactLogix PLCs / RSLogix5000. It is possible to quickly detach the MobileView HMI and move it from machine to machine. I have a unique FactoryTalk View project for the MobileView and another for a PanelView that sits in front of each machine. MobileView communicates via EtherNet.

Would like to develop trigger some logic to know when the MobileView is connected. In that case I will adjust visibility on the MobileView.

Does anyone know ladder logic I can write that would tell me if the device is connected? I guess I need to somehow interrogate the IP address, maybe send a MSG command to the device and look for an expected response?

Thanks!

// Mike

There is a quick and easy method I have used in the past to confirm PV+ comms. I have a macro set a value of 1 to a bit in the PLC, say PV_HeartBeat. Have an unlatch bit just unlatch it every scan and use that to run a timer with a preset of 1500 mSec. If the timer DN bit ever goes high, I know I have lost comms. Hope that helps.