ADAM 4572 Modbus TCP to Serial convertor with Red Lion.

DLMUK

Hi,

has anyone ever setup an Adam 4572 Modbus TCP/IP to Modbus serial convertor?

I am trying to use one with a Red Lion DSPSX but cannot establish comms.

I can get the Red Lion talking to my PC when I run a modbus slave simulator (red lion is the master). But if I run a Master simulator on my PC and connect directly to the convertor I cannot get comms.

I have connected my Red Lion to the Adam convertor and read the serial output from the serial side and get

00FC000000000000F8000000F8000000F8000000F8000000E000000000000F8000000E00000 and so on...

I do not get the message I expect to see which is address my node 4, to read holding register 27 for a length of 2.

thanks
So I would expect 0403001A0002**** where the stars are the CRC.

That serial stream looks like you've got the baud rates mis-matched to me.

So I have this straight: The Red Lion DSP is connected to the ADAM 4572 over Modbus/TCP, and then the ADAM 4572 is connected to a slave device over Modbus RTU Serial.

Correct ?

If you can ZIP and post your Crimson 3 project file, folks might be able to check it out.

have you tried taking the red lion and adam out of the picture and polling the device using a software like modbus poll? start from the end and work your way back to determine where the problem is.

I got it sorted in the end, it turned out to be a combination of things but got there in the end.

I would like to be able to start and stop the Modbus TCP comms from the Red Lion device through a HMI. Does anyone know if you can start/stop the comms using tags etc?

I have looked through Crimson but cannot find anything.

Thanks

Can you tell us what you found? Others' experience is always useful in getting serial comms running.

Good point....

What I found was that I was setting the device as a Modbus Server mode, previous convertors like this I have used you setup to mimic the Master.

With the ADAM one you set it up to be the same as the slave.

So if you have

PLC MASTER -> ADAM -> RTU then you setup the ADAM as a slave

I also found that due to the cable run and the number of nodes I have (46 nodes at 1/8UL and around 160m of cable) that for the nodes further down the network I had to reduce the Timeout from 100ms to 500ms otherwise communications failed.

Additionally, the purpose of this convertor was to setup a redundant loop for the 46 nodes I have.

So I have a Red Lion DSPSX talking to my 46 nodes via RS485. The RS485 network is then also connected to these Serial/TCP IP convertors.

When both devices were physically connected to the network (regardless of whether the RS485 port was polling or not) the ADAM convertors would not work. If you stopped the ADAM convertors polling via the TCP/IP port then the RS485 port ran fine. So in the end I had to install a relay to physically break the connection to the RS485 port when I wanted to use the ADAM TCP/IP network.