GE Ethernet Communication Faults

Frikster

Hi Guys i am having some serious problems:

Attached is a fault table from the one PLC which I took, what basically is happening is the Ethernet Module does into a halting state and the “Log Empty” LED is not illuminated anymore,
The PLC shows no faults or warnings and the PLC is still running, only the Ethernet modules goes into this halt, when this happens I can’t ping or connect to the PLC we have to physically go press the reset button on the Ethernet module to get it back online.

We are inspecting the network infrastructure , thus far we have found anything, there is a fiber cable which was opened in a trench, we tested it and found no problem, the comms to the switch on the other end of it also shows no problems.

Also said PLC04 has inter PLC communication to PLC01,PLC02,PLC03 and PLC05, Mill 2 PLC does not have any interplc comms and is only connected to the main SCADA which runs on a different network.

Is there a way via the PLC software which we can reset the Ethernet module without needing to run out everytime or is there a way to disable the halting state so atleast production can continue while we are still looking for the fault?

PLC is the GE IC695CHS012 en the Ethernet card is a IC695ETM001:cry:

MILL02.jpg PLC04_Fault.jpg

Is there a way via the PLC software which we can reset the Ethernet module without needing to run out everytime or is there a way to disable the halting state so atleast production can continue while we are still looking for the fault?
Yes there is, look up (SVC_REQ 24) Service Request 24 in online help. It will reset a 'Smart Module' or 'Daughterboard'

But that would only be a "patch", I suggest that you also make sure that your ETM001 module has the latest firmware.
And maybe put an Ethernet Monitor on the network to see if you can find the source of this glitch.
Also get a spare module and swap this one out, it could be going bad.

Last edited:
Instead of scratching your head looking for a trigger right now, use your time to update the firmware on that ETM001.
I'm betting that will take care of it.

Based on your screenshots above you have an old version of PME so I'm guessing that the firmware in your hardware is not up-to-date also. If your software were up-to-date you would have a link in the Fault Table to run the "PACs Analyzer". You may want to get it from the GE "Knowledge" site to easily determine exactly what firmware is in all of your hardware. It also gives you an extended Fault log that you can save or send to GE for analysis.

Last edited: