Status Indicators

paintdisposal

AB Micrologix 1000
24VDC System

I tried searching and was unable to find an answer, so I apologize ahead of time if this is a total beginner question that everyone should know.

I wrote a program to accumulate pallets on 6 conveyors of various lengths each (13', 9', 4x4' pieces). I am about to build the control box but I was curious if I should wire indicator lights on my panel directly to the same output that controls the contactors or if I should include a separate rung that if the motor is active OTE to a status light? I'm not sure if I should power multiple devices from a single output even if within voltage capacity.

----]XIC.M1[------]OTE.M1.LIGHT[--

Part of me likes the fail safe idea if the motor relay is getting power I want the status light to have power as well without programming error, hardware failure, etc...

Thanks,
Ben

Ben,
Wiring to the same PLC output for a status light is fine. Just be cautious of the current draw of your relay contactor and the status light do not exceed what the PLC can output.
If you want a super robust status light, use an extra-pole contactor and use the extra pole to power the light. That way the light shows the exact status of the contactor even if the PLC has failed to control it.

Tim

Thanks for the quick reply.

That's a great suggestion. I have already purchased the equipment for this installation but will definitely consider that in the future.

Thanks again!