System design for garage

Nhrafan26

Ok, yeah it's been a while (371,208 new posts and 55,425 new threads since your last visit.) (n)
But I have a series of questions and a project that I want to start designing with lots of help and suggestions. I'm really hoping I can get lots of help here and learn a lot as well.
I just built a new garage and since I am a beginner in the automation field I want to design a system for it to control things like the lights, possibly a relay and a solenoid shutoff/ autodrain for the air compressor, control heating (Possibly an ice melting system for the roof and driveway in front) control the garage doors (open to a certain height or control full auto operation, yes I know there are already systems built into these things but I'd like to tie everything together into one system)
Measure temp and maybe moisture content of air compressor...
All things like that. Yes, fairly complex project I guess but if you're gonna do it, do it big.
Now, what I have at my current disposal:
2 panelview 300 Micro (2711-M3A18L1)
A panelview Plus 600 (2711P-T6C5D)
A panelview plus 1000 (2711P-RDT10C with 2711P-T10C4D1 comm module)
A panelview plus 1000 (2711P-RDT10C with 2711P-T10C4D2 comm module)
A SOLA SDP 2-24-100T power supply 2.1A
A AB 1606 XLP Power supply
A 1761-CBL-PM02 Micrologix cable
And a micrologix 1000 that doesn't respond when trying to connect, it gets stuck on TestingMode: CRC and hangs there until I get tired of it and cancel everything.

So this is where I'm starting, hopeully enough information and not too much garbage. I have misc relays and a good pile of terminal blocks, wire and such here as well.
By the way, my plant shut down and I had the good fortune of pulling out some stuff as we were dismantling and all but one of these items is used pulled from working machines. They have powered up but not fully tested as I don't have a connected system.
Yes, I also have RS5000 at my disposal, RS500, Panelview, factorytalk etc.

First question is what PLC would you recommend that won't break the bank and not be overly complicated for what i need? I was trying to use the micrologix 1000 but like I said it won't respond which really stinks because it has the analog input!!! :mad:

Enough for now, please hit me with all the questions and suggestions!
Thanks.

First I would put together a list of all the I/O Requirements for the project. I usually do this with a Excel Spreadsheet. It will list each I/O point, the type of I/O (4-20, 0-10v, DC in, relay out, etc.).
Once you know all that info you can then go looking for a PLC to do the job.

If you want to stick with AB then you may want to look for a used SLC 5/04 System on eBay. You can get them with the modules you need at a pretty good price. Also there is the Micrologix 1100 and 1400. Both would be a good option too. You can also find them on eBay used too.

MicroLogix 1100 would be my first choice. They are inexpensive and have both Ethernet and two low-resolution analog voltage inputs built in.

Or get on eBay and look for one of the older MicroLogix 1000 "with Analog". Should be very cheap.

You could use either of those PanelView Plus terminals; the last character "1" was standard RAM, the "2" had extra RAM. Both will talk to the MicroLogix over RS-232 or Ethernet.

First I would put together a list of all the I/O Requirements for the project. I usually do this with a Excel Spreadsheet. It will list each I/O point, the type of I/O (4-20, 0-10v, DC in, relay out, etc.).

If you want to stick with AB then you may want to look for a used SLC 5/04 System on eBay. You can get them with the modules you need at a pretty good price. Also there is the Micrologix 1100 and 1400. Both would be a good option too. You can also find them on eBay used too.

Okay, I'm going to sit down and try to put together a spreadsheet of inputs and outputs then I will try to post up and go from there.

I was also thinking of making one of the panelview plus1000 the main screen in the shop and then maybe having the panelview 600 in the office. Is there a good and simple way to use two screens to interface with 1 PLC?

MicroLogix 1100 would be my first choice. They are inexpensive and have both Ethernet and two low-resolution analog voltage inputs built in.

Or get on eBay and look for one of the older MicroLogix 1000 "with Analog". Should be very cheap.

You could use either of those PanelView Plus terminals; the last character "1" was standard RAM, the "2" had extra RAM. Both will talk to the MicroLogix over RS-232 or Ethernet.

I quick looked at 1100's on eBay and that seems like a viable option.
Thanks for the information on the 1 and 2 suffix.

OK, another question...
I've never designed a system before so I'm trying to think where I need actual buttons and where I can just use the touch screen program?
I would imagine in the event of an issue I should have an actual switch to turn the lights on and off as well. The other would be the garage door openers. I think everything else I could run through the program.
Any thoughts on this?

That's the best way to start. Treat it like a job your quoting to yourself. That's what I did with my race car when I put a PLC in it. Also wrote a scope of work to keep me on the right path.

Question, looking at MicroLogix 1100 I see there is 1763-L16BBB which has (4) 24V FET outputs.
What would this be used for and what would be an example of the connection?
To drive 2 loads with one switch? To isolate loads? To act as a NO/NC set? I have tried to read up but am still confused on this.

Question, looking at MicroLogix 1100 I see there is 1763-L16BBB which has (4) 24V FET outputs.
What would this be used for and what would be an example of the connection?
To drive 2 loads with one switch? To isolate loads? To act as a NO/NC set? I have tried to read up but am still confused on this.

The FET are transistor outputs as apposed to relay outputs on some of the other models. You use these on outputs that cycle often or more quickly than a relay can handle. Relays are mechanical devices and will quit working if cycled very often.