Data Collection Options

Greg Dake

Greetings!

I am looking for a server based data collection system, with cost being a significant factor. Are there any “descent” low cost server based data collection systems you have worked with? I am not looking for something for critical process data collection, but more for convenience data and troubleshooting data. Redundancy is not critical and fast updates are not either. Just looking for something where a few client PC's can open a browser and create a few trends. I am also not looking to "Roll my own."

In the past I have worked extensively with Rockwell's Vantage Point and GE's Proficy Historian. These products are at a price point which is too high for our current situation.

TIA,

Greg

I'll throw Ignition out there, might be overkill but at the same time you make the investment and don't worry about future licensing with it. Just get the 'Foundation' package and be on your way since it's unlimited tags and clients. If you want to capture event based data you'd have to get the SQL Bridge module to compliment it.

You'd have to expand on your price point, but in-terms of a product that will get you up and running quickly, be easy to work with and deploy out, Ignition is hard to beat.

I would encourage you to download the demo and try it out, it will run for 2 hours and you can reset it, so you can easily create a proof-of-concept w/o any financial investment.

You can use Microsoft MS SQL Server Express & MS Visual Studio Community Edition for almost no licensing costs. you can get the drivers at www.controlsystemtools.com with working examples & implement it. We have done it working with thousands of filed devices, collecting over a million tags, comparable in performance to the traditional heavy duty historians, data analytics & reporting solutions. This way you do not depend on any non Microsoft vendors products. Contact me if you need any help. Cheers.
[email protected]

How many points

Picologger will do 16 points for around $400 dollars. loggers can be networked. I am using 2 for about 2 years no problems.

Greg, We shall provide you with this solution as a free Proof of Concept. Use MS SQL Server Express. You will have the features & capabilities of traditional historians & very advanced, powerful data analytics. Unlimited quantity of PLCs, tags, clients - mobile or thick clients. Web browser or desktop. You can configure the system database using a built-in utility or via Microsoft SQL Management studio.