CompactLogix Messaging

wa5yom

I am having problems with the message path between 2 CompactLogix processors on ethernet....each processor has two ports...
CIP Read data.......
I am sure the path is incorrect but am having trouble finding dosumentation....

Not much to go on, I am assuming you can go online with both PLC's without changing your PC so I am making a wag here, try 2, XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX, 1, 0 where XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX is the IP address you are reading from.

Both are L33ERM's.....Going online is not a problem, data types are the same....The issue appears to be the path.....I cannot find documentation on the structure of the path....
error 16#0001 16#0000_0103...

To expand on what mscholz said:

2 - Ethernet
XXX.xxx.xxx.xxx - IP of the other compactlogix
1 - Backplane
0 - Slot # of the controller, for compactlogix with ethernet port, its always 0.

Of course, it help us if you tell us how your plc are connected.

F1-Help on MSG will bring us some useful tips. also look in:

Ethernet IP Netowrk Configuration Manual - enet-um001_-en-p.pdf
Logix5000 Controllers Messages - 1756-pm012_-en-p.pdf

With the modern "5370 family" of CompactLogix controllers, the CPU and the Ethernet module are considered to be the same object. You don't need to specify "backplane, Slot 0".

This includes the 1769-L33ERM controller.

The "R" in the part number indicates that it supports the "Device Level Ring" protocol. It really has only one logical Ethernet port, just with two plugs so you can connect a ring network.

So the Path from one CompactLogix to another CompactLogix for a MSG instruction is going to be simply "2, AAA.BBB.CCC.DDD:.

The "2" means "out the Ethernet port" and the second element is the target controller's IP address.

That error code suggest a CIP Connection error.

The most common reason for that error is a message loop that points back to the originator.

Be certain that the IP address you put into the MSG instruction for the target controller is not the source controller's address.

Triple-check your IP addresses.

Double-check the tag names and data types.

What is the full error message; is it Error 0x0001, Ext_Err 0x0318 ?

16#0000_0318

4 processors...all run the same program...just different IP's and controller names.
Each Processor has 3 msg blocks that Read data from the other processors....

The same program was downloaded to each processor, then the IP was changed along with the Controller name.

1 PLC, all 3 message blocks read fine...
The other 3 do not read one of the processors...Each one does not read a different processor...

So, since the programs are the same...that validates the data types.....and the msg blocks...The Processor IP's were changes and I can see each one independently on the network...

So, does this make sense?

I will get back on this tomorrow...

Thanks...

Did you power cycle after applying the changes to the IP configuration?

That often bites me with the Micrologix11/1400. They will stay online and look and act like everything is fine... until I try to write from a remote HMI or something, then I get errors until I cycle power.

From your description it sounds like at one time, some or all of these controllers had the same IP address.

Were they all power cycled after being reconfigured ?

It sounds like there's a switch or router somewhere that didn't get its IP/MAC table flushed.

Hum.....no I did not.....they did not all have the same ip..but I did change the ip's today ...snd the only one that I cycled power on is the one that works 100%....
I will cycle power on the others tomorrow and report back...
Thanks...