Profibus on HMI

pfingers

Apologises if this has been answered before but i can't find it if it has.
I am a very new beginner to PLC's but have been tasked with a project at work. We have components that can be configured as profibus slave to a clients master. Recently some clients want us to prove these slaves work before attaching them to thier network. Some bright spark came up with the idea of using a siemens PLC with a small HMI to display the values to show the client. Making this work has been dumped on me.
We have a siemens s7-1200 plc, a KTP400 HMI, a 1243-5 profibus dp master module and a E+H RSG40 profibus slave to practice on.
Now I have managed to use the software to add these components and configure the connections (i think) but am unsure how to get the values from the slave to display on the HMI.
I naïvely thought that it was just a matter of drag and drop tags from the slave to a tag list and link the icons on the display to these but i dont seem to be able to do it.
Can anyone help?

Sorry for the long post i have no potatoes.