OT (but relevant I think). Intercoms in control panels.

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi.

I apologize if this topic isnt exactly about PLCs, but it is pertaining to testing control systems (with PLCs), so maybe you can forgive me.

When we have control panels physically located wide apart and they must work together, we use walkie-talkies to communicate. Problem is that they get quite unreliable when the radio vawes has to travel a long distance or pass through thick concrete walls.

So I get the idea of installing a regular wire-based intercom system with a phone in each panel.
I am after something simple and cheap.
Everything is about wireless these days, old fashioned wires seems so yesterdays technology. "industrial intercom" attracts 85000 hits on google, and they are all about something much more capable, complicated and expensive than what I am after.

Anyone seen something that could fit my panel and my budget ?

Good morning gentlemen, you must be very early birds (or night owls).

I would be interested in both systems (particularly the SelecFone from federal signals). Do you have a rough price estimate for these systems ?

Viking Electronics makes a phone line power supply/emeulator. You can install RJ45 jacks in your panels and use a standard inexpensive phone set. I would suggest this because phones are duplex (easier to talk on), and voice powered phones can be hard to work with in noisy places.

Very early for me, I haven't been sleeping, so I come into work at 4 AM or so.

The Federal signal one, and a similar one by Atkinson Dynamics are about 500 to 600 dollars US per station. Not terribly cheap, but I like them as they can be set very loud, have good loud 'call signals', and are essentially bullet-proof.

Where we install handsets, they generally get destroyed on a regular basis, but the big 'ol clunkies just keep working and working and working :)

Jesper

On our ship to shore cranes we use the P11 'phone' from Nobel . These handsets work on a 2 wire system, they are self powered and up to 6 handsets can be operating at the same time with no loss of signal. Wherever we had two spare cores running to a panel or junction box we installed a socket to plug a handset in. We use non shielded cable with these and get good results.

These might be worth a look at.

Paul

We had similar problems using our motorolla radios inside our plant due to concrete. We ended up installing repeater stations for each channel this allowed full plant coverage throughout the plant. Which is convenient for safety reasons. Ie a man with a radio gets hurt in a confined space.

You guys are all high tech. :D

For a low tech version...

Take two regular phones (wired handset type, not wireless), connect them (red and green wires) to any unused wire pair you have that goes from one panel to the other and connect a 1.5 volt 'D' cell in series with one of the wires. It won't ring, but you can talk on it.

I take no responsibility for anyone doing anything with the above referenced system. It will work, my dad made me a setup like this when I was a kid. Had a ball with it. (Well till the battery died anyway.)

Paul,

that Nobel P11 phone looks like the winner. At least looks like, because there are no datasheets or contact addresses on their website. Well maybe there are, but apart from that page you linked to its all in japanese so its difficult to know really.
Googling "Nobel P11 phone" is not a good idea either :rolleyes:

Do you have a contact in the EU, and maybe a price ?

I am guessing that they are basically the same as icky's do-it-yourself phone system, only a bit more finished and ready to use.

Icky's phone system sounds like a great idea for a "secret phone" to the kids "no-girls" hideout.

Jesper

When I am back at work tomorrow, (yes, I am having another day off!) I will look up our data sheets on them and see if there is a contact number for Nobel, if I can't find one I will contact our crane manufacturers, Liebherr, in Ireland and ask them for a contact address or number.

Paul

We ended up just installing an ordinary phone system with speed dial. It also had the advantage of being easy to call up an electrician or fitter when something breaks down.

Doug

Jesper

I received an email this morning from Nobel Co. Japan.

I assume that you also received this email because it was addressed to a Mr Pedersen as well!

Originally received by email

Dear Mr. Lucas,

Dear Mr. Pedersen,

Thank you for your mail. We are represented in Europe by the following
company:

ISOLECTRA BV ROTTERDAM
Rivium Boulevard 101
2909 LK Capelle aan den IJssel
The Netherlands

Paul

Hi Paul,

glad he didn't write something confidential in that mail :p

I have proceeded further and located Isoelectra in holland.
Problem is it is all in dutch, there are no useful links or documentation, only one page states that they have "Nobel" in their fold of suppliers.
I will contact them for prices and documentation, but I doubt that they will be very interested in low-volume sales to a foreign customer.