Reading a string with a MSG instruction

Outlaw10801

I am trying to read a string from a remote compact logix to another compact logix. I have the msg instruction is setup but it keeps coming up in an error when enabled. I have used MSG's before but never for a string. Looking for some help with setting this up.

MSG Type= CIP Data Table Read

if you can put your plc's offline, do a produced/consumed tag setup, if not then your can use two messages to send the .DATA and .LEN individually since you cannot message strings.

I'm not sure about messaging only strings between 2 CompactLogix, but in the past I used to send strings packed inside a very complex UDT (it's worked from a CompactLogix to a ControlLogix). At the end any string is an array of SINT and a DINT: if Logix platform can deal with UDT, why not with strings?

What is the Error Text and Error Code you are receiving? Could you post the MSG properties?