Fiber optics connection

Yessenbruce

Hi there.
I want to connect to computers over a fiber optic patch cord.
Somebody has done this? i have two MacPros of 2007 and im trying to connect both computers. The speed is not the issue, actually i need to reach the 200 meters over time...
I read that, a box converter o media converter can do the job? but i also saw that are PCI cards that can handle fiber and they cost the same? what is better?

Thanks!!
:geek::geek::geek::geek:🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

I would go for a converter, or switch that allows both. That way you could hook up multiple devices on both ends without having to make sure your device has an optic port.

People here seem to like automation direct :).

Based on the information you have provided, it would appear that you would want an Ethernet to Fiber converter. For this you would need two units, one for each computer.

You may want to consider the MCW211 from Westermo for your application. More information is available through the following link:

http://www.eternity-sales.com/Westermo/fiberchannel.htm

Given the distance you had stated, the SFP with 2km communications distance should be sufficient. The other thing you will need to determine is your fiber connection (LC, ST or SC).

If you have any questions, feel free to post, pm or email through the link below.

Disclosure - ESI is an authorized Westermo distributor.

I would go for a converter, or switch that allows both. That way you could hook up multiple devices on both ends without having to make sure your device has an optic port.

People here seem to like automation direct :).

I second the fibre/copper switch option, much more flexible if you want to connect printers etc. at one end or other PC's in time.