B&R HMI Panels

fasacrifice

Hi All,

We have one of these B&R 5PP320.1214-39 died on us. I have never dealth with these panels. Got the machine with this HMI and AB PLC from another company and they gave us the HMI program which is .mer and .apa files whis is FactoryTalk View file extension.

I'm so confused. Can we program these panels with FactoryTalk View? The machine is not right here so I can not look at it. Any idea how these panels can be programmed with FactoryTalk View?

No, you can't program the B&R panel with FactoryTalk View. It just runs FactoryTalk view project files (like a desktop computer would).
I think you're in a tough spot.

It sounds like that B&R panel is (was) running FactoryTalk View Machine Edition software. The operating system would have been Windows Embedded XP.
It was something B&R promoted some years ago to say "hey, we can run FTView ME projects and sell you better/cheaper hardware".
Whoever built the machine would have installed FactoryTalk View ME Station onto the panel, then loaded a software license.

I did a quick search, and this is all I could find that's still around today.
http://www.packworld.com/controls/s...ready-run-factorytalkr-view-and-windowstm-xpe

If you get another B&R panel, you would need to manually install FactoryTalk View ME Station and then apply the software license. Might be tough to get the license off the dead B&R panel.

Last edited:
No, you can't program the B&R panel with FactoryTalk View.
I think you're in a tough spot; you have an unlicensed HMI panel. I would call a local B&R distributor, or tech support, and scream for them to replace (or refund) it.

It sounds like that B&R panel is (was) running FactoryTalk View Machine Edition software. The operating system would have been Windows CE 5.0
It was something B&R promoted some years ago to say "hey, we can run FTView ME projects and sell you better/cheaper hardware".

Problem is, the B&R panel was using un-licensed software. They simply copied the FactoryTalk View ME runtime software from a PanelView Plus, and then pasted the software into their B&R panel. It runs, but it's not licensed.

I did a quick search, and this is all I could find that's still around today.
http://www.packworld.com/controls/s...ready-run-factorytalkr-view-and-windowstm-xpe

Surprise, B&R website doesn't mention that FactoryTalk View software anymore.

Thank you so much. It makes sense now. I was so confused.

So if we order exactly new one, which we found already from B&R, is it gonna come with FactoryTalk View ME runtime software or not? (I'm gonna email them right now)

I have no idea... but curious to find out!

They used to ship them with FTView ME installed (and licensed?).
You should also be able to pull the memory CF card out of the old unit, and just plug it into the new unit. I'd ask them that to be sure.

arlenjacobs is exactly right that your OEM just used the better looking and less expensive PP320 instead of a PanelView and it was just running Windows and FactoryTalk. I know that you can take a windows CF card out of one panel and stick it in another of the same model number and it works fine. Unless factory talk has more stringent licensing looking at hardware serial numbers, you should just be able to put the CF card in a new panel and you'll be good to go.

Sometimes there is a license puck that looks like a battery, but I don't think that is the case for just running windows, but check the PP320 for a small compartment labeled "license".