Best USB to serial adapter?

bitmonkey

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi Guys,
I have tried searching the forums, but have not found much.

My laptop is new enough to not have a DB9 plug. So I'm trying to connect to our MODBUS networks using a Tripp-Lite Model: U208-000-R USB to Serial adapter and not having much luck. The problem seems to be my adapter. I have tested my cable with a different pc, and it works fine. I am pretty confident that I have the correct drivers installed, and the comm port configured correctly.

My question is: What is the best adapter to buy, and should I be looking at a PCMCIA adapter instead? I have heard the PCMCIA adapters are more reliable, but what brand is best?

Thanks for any help!

Tripplite is Made By Keys pan. and I Know alot of Automation People swear by them. But I am very happy with our forum member Geniusintraining's cables. you can find them at http://www.plccable.com/ oh and I use USB. PCMCIA is getting dated and less available on new laptops

I will vouch for the products sold there too.
🍺

ME 2 (y)

(I also have a couple keyspan USA-19HS that work well, but Marks product specific cables are A+ and I have been very happy with all that I have purchased from him. Great Quality & Great Price)
(Have a look at his entire cable selection, see link below)

http://www.plccable.com/communication-cables/

Regards,
BCS

I also still run a native XP Machine for those pain in the *** software that won't run on 64 bit Windows. with a native serial port. I really should make a New VM. lol

I have only found one device that the Keyspan won't work with. So now I carry at least two different types.

Another thumbs up for Mark's cables and other products. I have used quite a few, but have not tried his USB to RS-232 adapters myself.

Another thumbs up for Mark's cables and other products. I have used quite a few, but have not tried his USB to RS-232 adapters myself.

Thanks Paul, I will include one (free) with your next order, they are very good, low cost and have a lifetime replacement if they ever fail like the rest of our cables

I've found that the "CH341" USB <-> serial devices work quite well (they're always in a blue casing). I bought half a dozen off eBay a few years ago for ~$1/each, and so far none of them have failed.

I use the Omron one and it has worked on everything I have thrown at it. It has an FTDI chip.