RedLion G15 HMI Alarm Display

lijumuttath

Hi

Currently I am using RedLion HMI for one of my recent jobs. I am new to RedLion HMI.

I configured alarms to view in the alarm viewer. When I tested it onsite I have noticed that new alarms displayed at the bottom.

How do we change this to display newer alarms at top.

Thanks in advance.

Hi

Currently I am using RedLion HMI for one of my recent jobs. I am new to RedLion HMI.

I configured alarms to view in the alarm viewer. When I tested it onsite I have noticed that new alarms displayed at the bottom.

How do we change this to display newer alarms at top.

Thanks in advance.

I don't have an answer because I don't know of a way to change the sort order, but I checked one of mine and the newer alarms appear at the top. Do you have both the date and the time shown?

There's an option in the alarm viewer's properties called "Sort Alarms by", and there you have the choice to sort by newest first or oldest first. That option was added in Build 582 of Crimson 3, so it won't be available unless you are using that version or newer.

There's an option in the alarm viewer's properties called "Sort Alarms by", and there you have the choice to sort by newest first or oldest first. That option was added in Build 582 of Crimson 3, so it won't be available unless you are using that version or newer.

Good catch. I forgot about that.

The project I was looking at for the sort order was using an earlier version and the one I was using to test the alarm list is a later version.

Hi all,

In Trend screen, is it possible to turn ON/OFF the required tags in a particular log. To be clear, I am trending temperature and humidity in a log and displayed in a trend screen. Is it possible to turn OFF just humidity during runtime.

Yes. Have a Look at the Pen Mask property for your trend. It (like most other fields) can be a literal value, a tag or expression which evaluates to a value where each of the first 16 bits is the on/off state for each possible pen in the trend.

Hi OKiePC,
Thanks for your comment. I am not that familiar with the software.

I saw the Pen Mask option in the Trend Viewer Properties. Currently it is set to General. There is nothing in the other column next to it.

I looked at Crimson Manuals but all of them provide basic things. Is there any manual that described everything in detail.

...Is there any manual that described everything in detail.

I would love to take their manual and expand it, and I think I am not the only person who has suggested that they need more meat on the skeleton.

For many features, if you click in a field and press F1 you will get pop up "tool tip" help pointers which are very good, although a little short on some details.

For system functions and variables, if you click on it (in the right pane) and hit F1, it will open the reference manual and jump to the topic. The manual must not already be open for the focus to move to the right spot in the pdf file.

For the pen mask, an example may help. For simplicity sake, let's use four pens;

Pen Mask:
1111 = 15 decimal = all pens will show up.
1101 = 13 decimal = Pens 1, 3, and 4 will be shown.
1000 = 8 decimal = Only pen 4 will be shown.

I have a project on my plate right now where I will take advantage of this Pen Mask dynamically, so when I get to that point in the project where I have tested how to give the user the ability to toggle the bits in the mask, I can post a more thorough example.

Hi OKiePC,
Thanks for your comment. I am not that familiar with the software.

I saw the Pen Mask option in the Trend Viewer Properties. Currently it is set to General. There is nothing in the other column next to it.

I looked at Crimson Manuals but all of them provide basic things. Is there any manual that described everything in detail.

With nothing in it, all pens will be shown. As OkiePC said, the Pen Mask turns pens or off based on a bitmap. I can't test it right now, but if memory serves me you type the number 2, the first tag should be off and the second pen should be on. That is because 2 = binary "10" and bits are read right to left. 3 or a binary "11" would show both pens.

As OkiePC also mentioned there are several ways you can do this, but using an integer in the Pen Mask is the easiest way. If you only want the first pen type a 1.

The reason I am repeating myself is that it is a bit mapped integer, but 1 and 2 (integers) look like you are saying pen 1 on or pen 2 on (which you are but only because those integer values correspond to the correct bit pattern.

I would love to take their manual and expand it, and I think I am not the only person who has suggested that they need more meat on the skeleton.

For many features, if you click in a field and press F1 you will get pop up "tool tip" help pointers which are very good, although a little short on some details.

For system functions and variables, if you click on it (in the right pane) and hit F1, it will open the reference manual and jump to the topic. The manual must not already be open for the focus to move to the right spot in the pdf file.

For the pen mask, an example may help. For simplicity sake, let's use four pens;

Pen Mask:
1111 = 15 decimal = all pens will show up.
1101 = 13 decimal = Pens 1, 3, and 4 will be shown.
1000 = 8 decimal = Only pen 4 will be shown.

I have a project on my plate right now where I will take advantage of this Pen Mask dynamically, so when I get to that point in the project where I have tested how to give the user the ability to toggle the bits in the mask, I can post a more thorough example.

Our posts crossed, and your explanation should be more clear than mine, though we are saying the same thing. He should just remember to type the number 8 rather than "1000" to display only pen 4.

Here's what I did to test this:

I made a new numeric tag called PenMask1

I dragged it onto the page below my trend.

I double clicked it to open up the properties and double clicked on the Data Value field so I could edit it with the keyboard and appended it with ".0" so now it is PenMask1.0 which is a reference to bit 0 of the PenMask1 integer.

Next, I made it pretty (put a label "Pen 1", added a fill color and border) and closed the properties with the OK button.

Then I right clicked on it and "Add Action" and chose Push Button for the action type. Then I clicked on the Data tab and copied the value field and pasted it into the Button Data field on the Action tab. The default button type is "Toggle" which is what I wanted. So my "Data Box" is now a boolean type which displays "Pen 1: OFF" or "Pen 1: ON" by referencing and toggling PenMask1.0

Then I copied and pasted this object six times and altered the bit references and the label in each of the copies to handle the subsequent bits.

So now I have little labelled buttons for each pen which do properly control the correct bits in the pen mask integer tag. Now as long as I can keep my log file pen names and labels matched up it should be good to go. I don't know of a way to dynamically grab the trend pen data label so that I could use that as my label, so I will probably just leave generic labels on my toggle buttons until I am done tinkering with my project. That way, if I decide to rearrange the order of my data log I won't have to go fix all these unlinked references to the same information.

Last edited:
Thanks to JHarbin and OKiePC. Really appreciate your help.

This is well described and I got it working.

But after I added the Penmask, the default view is none of them are displayed. So I have to click on individual button to view them all. Is there a way to display a certain set of trend shown during start up.

Also in your comment "Next, I made it pretty (put a label "Pen 1", added a fill color and border) ", I couldn't find an option to label it in the properties.

If the PenMask value is an internal tag and not initialized somewhere, it will start with a zero value (all bits and therefore all pens off). I would make that tag retentive, and somewhere add some code to initialize it to the most common value you may want.

I always have a program called Startup that I put in the Global properties in the Startup field. I put stuff that needs to be initialized there. I find myself making my applications more and more generic and putting many of the custom things in this startup program like vessel names (I work mostly with water and wastewater projects and every little town has nicknames for water towers and wells and stuff).

So I would recommend you create a Startup Program and put logic in there:
PenMask := 15;

That will give you 8 pens visible out of the gate, and then your bit toggling buttons can change the bits in that value after the panel starts up. If you want the PenMask to be retentive but not zero even on a newly programmed HMI, put logic like:

If (PenMask == 0) PenMask := 15; //or 13 or 7 or 1 or whatever you like. This will leave the PenMask however you last set it following a power cycle as long as it's not zero.

As for the label, if you drag a tag from the Resource Pane (on the right) to a Page as I did, it will become a Data Box by default. That object type already has a Label field. It will take the label and some other properties from the tag, but you can uncheck the "Get From" flags and make the choices for what you want in that object unique to it. Or you can jump to the tag and set up the label and other properties there so they will be used anywhere you use that tag on a screen. Since I broke my data source down to the bit level, I set my label on the object itself since I can't set a different label for each bit of a single integer tag at the tag level.

If you started out with another type of object, and then plop the tag into it, the label text may not exist or may need to be added. Most objects that don't contain a text element will allow you to "Add Text" with a right click menu.

Last edited:
Here comes the next question.

I added a new program under the programs. Selected the Prototype as ‘none’ which came up with void Program1(void) in the field. Under the ProgramCode I typed ‘PenMask :=15’. When I try to simulate it came with an error message as ‘ You have un-translated programs in your data base. If you do not translate these programs before downloading to the target device, your database may not function as expected’.