pv+ ethernet network

roxusa

Lifetime Supporting Member
I would like to have several 1766-LB32BWA's on a network with a panelview plus
If I set up the shortcuts to each on one panelview+ and address each (numeric data display) will they all communicate with the display? seems like it should work. I am setting up some non contact IR units on a rather long machine and thought I could put several 1400's in various locations and send the info on an Ethernet network. any other Ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited:
The "Compact" versions of the PanelView Plus (v4 - v5.10) and the PanelView Plus 6 (v6-v6.10) as well as the PanelView Plus 7 Standard terminals support only a single controller.

But any ordinary PV+ will happily connect to multiple MicroLogix controllers. There is probably a practical limit but I'm not aware of a pre-set limit.

Thank you, Am I correct on the shortcut and addressing. I would test but need to pick up a few 1400"s first

If I understand your intent correctly, then yes you should be able to do what you want. Each numeric data display can reference any of the MLX on the network. You'll have to configure shortcuts in the Communication Setup for each MLX and each display will only reference one MLX. But you can have as many data displays as you can fit on the screen, each referencing different shortcuts.

Ken Roach said:
...the PanelView Plus 6 (v6-v6.10) as well as the PanelView Plus 7 Standard terminals support only a single controller...

Ken,

I'm not saying that one should or should not do it, but it is possible, and supported, to connect multiple controllers to the PVP 6 & 7 terminals. However, determining how many is tricky. The following is some information on what's known as the RSLinx Enterprise Logix Data Provider. As it implies, it is more related to RSLinx Enterprise's interaction with Logix controllers, of which the MicroLogix family are of course not. It explains the old and new versions of the above and the effects on performance when using Logix controllers and their memory intensive User Data Types (UDT)...

624292 - PanelView Plus terminals running 6.10 or newer firmware exhibit slow application startup, slow runtime performance or RSLinx Enterprise errors
Access Level: Everyone

There are, as explained, a number of factors which can prohibit the number of controllers that may be used with one terminal. The size of the application and the amount of memory it uses up, or more importantly, leaves for other processes. The amount of tag referencing to each controller. The size and complexity of any referenced UDTs being used in the Logix controllers. The network used and its potential complexity and latency.

A data concentrator is a good alternative when the multiple controllers to one terminal setup is struggling. Exchange the multiple controller data with one controller, or Server, and then just assign one shortcut from there to the terminal.

roxusa,

But the MicroLogix controllers do not support UDTs. So that is not so much an issue here. What can be an issue is the number of available CIP connections. Each MicroLogix 1400 supports up to 16 incoming and 16 outgoing connections. You should always leave one connection spare for you to go online with the controller. So that really leaves 15. If the only device communicating with each controller is the one PanelView Plus terminal, then the terminal may use up to 5 connections per controller. So that now leaves 10 connections.

This is fine if each controller is only communicating with the one terminal. But, if the MicroLogix controllers were also communicating with other devices, such as each other using, for instance, messaging then those 10 connections might be used up quite quickly. It all depends on your final data exchange outlay.

It would be best to define "several" controllers. You could mean 5, you could mean 20?

If, for instance, each MicroLogix were also to be messaging with each of the other controllers, and there are more than 10, then it would be a different story.

Of course, I am hypothesizing your intended solution. But I'm just giving an example of something to consider or watch out for here.

There are no limits to the number of RSLinx Enterprise shortcuts you can add in an application. This, of course, does not mean that there are no practical limits to the number of devices you should add. Also, the number of displays, HMI tags and tag references you can create will limit a user, somewhat, but they could go wild if they wanted to. As I mentioned, lots of factors determine the final performance on a larger system.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
I didn't emphasize the words correctly above. I blame coffee.

PanelView Plus Compact, PanelView Plus 6 Compact, and PanelView Plus 7 Standard.

All three of those variants support only a single controller.

All other PanelView Plus models are subject to the practical limitations of the network and RSLinx Enterprise, but do not have a pre-set limit of devices that they can connect to.

Thanks All, I initially intended for 2-3 Micrologix 1400's just to eliminate running the analog
signals (0-10vdc) up the machine to one central processor. The original system on the machine is L532E, with RIO 1747-SN to various 1794-ASB modules, I wanted to get away from using 1794 Analog modules but could since the Temperatures I am reading are more for data logging and not real time machine process, if that makes any sense

Ken Roach said:
...I blame coffee...

...Or lack of it?

I don't drink coffee that much. More a tea man. That's why I'm more refined, don't you know? Out of cups now, mind you, none of them big American mugs for me. I even stick my little pinky out while drinking it. Drives my wife made in public!

roxusa said:
Thanks All, I initially intended for 2-3 Micrologix 1400's just to eliminate running the analog
signals (0-10vdc) up the machine to one central processor. The original system on the machine is L532E, with RIO 1747-SN to various 1794-ASB modules, I wanted to get away from using 1794 Analog modules but could since the Temperatures I am reading are more for data logging and not real time machine process, if that makes any sense

I'm tempted to suggest a distributed Point I/O setup here. You could use the analog Point I/O modules and an Ethernet adapter wherever you have temperatures to be read. Link those over Ethernet back to an entry level CompactLogix L16ER. You'd be using RSLogix 5000/Logix Designer instead of RSLogix 500 though. If that's not a problem?

You'd only have one controller and no long analog cabling. This would also simplify the PanelView Plus setup.

Just a suggestion?

Regards,
George

If the only device communicating with each controller is the one PanelView Plus terminal, then the terminal may use up to 5 connections per controller.

FYI George so you can update that encyclopedia mind of yours:
Rockwell fixed that for some devices with a small number of CIP connections (ex 1769-L1 and L2) in version 5.1.02. The PanelView Plus should only use 2 CIP connections now; 1 for reads and 1 for writes.

ROXUSA, you can connect a lot of controllers. 20+ controllers is possible; you just can't ask for a lot of tags and a fast rate when you do that.

The best data speed with that MicroLogix (PLC or SLC) will be when all the data is in the same data array (ex. N7:1 to N7:50). That never happens, but it gives the best communication speed.
At least try to keep the HMI data close in the array.
Asking for N7:1 and N7:50 sends the same packet of data as asking for all 50 of those tags.