1756-L83E and FactoryTalk View ME

Psymon

Hi Guys,

Has anybody used a new L8 processor with FactoryTalk View ME? I try adding the device shortcut and compile the program, it gives me the message

WARNING: Unsupported device detected. Shortcut name = "PLC". Device name = "Billiton". Description: The system has detected that a device that is not supported in the requested version is referenced by a shortcut. This situation may not cause any runtime error if the system, upon which this project is to be run, has received a patch or has been upgraded to a newer version that support for this device. Otherwise runtime errors will be detected and logged in the target system when the system attempts to communicate to that device.

I have an Ethernet card in the chassis with it that I use to communicate to my L71S. It gives me the same error whether I'm trying the chassis based Ethernet card or the embedded Ethernet port. Just wondering if you guys had any ideas before I give Rockwell a call.

Thanks much
-Jay

Just to add some more information, I can browse for online tags in the processor when I edit a component, so I know the path is at least somewhat correct.

More than likely the version of ME you have will not support the L8 processor because it came out before the L8 therefore it has no means of understanding what it is.

You can upgrade your ME version which is my recommendation or go to the Rockwell Knowledge base and download the roll up patches that you need to support the L8 processor and apply them to your ME project.

I recall seeing this message when compiling to a 5.x target from FT 6.x environment. The application ran fine (PVP1000 5.x browsing a Logix 5575 v21.11).