ISA Membership

Topwater

As an independent contractor, is it worthwhile to join ISA and are there significant benefits?

Very general question I know, just wondering what people think. Thanks.

If you're looking for an opportunity to socialize with your colleagues or customers and they're ISA people, then the monthly meeting is usually held in restaurant with a bar so you can have a drink or two with them and eat at the table with them. The monthly meeting is typically a vendor doing a lightly modified power point so that it isn't an outright sales presentation.

But, I really doubt whether your customers make their buying decisions based on who shows up for an ISA meeting.

Members get a 10% or 15% discount for an ISA book. Is that an incentive?

Members get a minor discount on standards. How many standards do you buy in a year?

There's the monthly magazine . . .

If you're looking for an opportunity to socialize with your colleagues or customers and they're ISA people, then the monthly meeting is usually held in restaurant with a bar so you can have a drink or two with them and eat at the table with them. The monthly meeting is typically a vendor doing a lightly modified power point so that it isn't an outright sales presentation.

But, I really doubt whether your customers make their buying decisions based on who shows up for an ISA meeting.

Members get a 10% or 15% discount for an ISA book. Is that an incentive?

Members get a minor discount on standards. How many standards do you buy in a year?

There's the monthly magazine . . .

And what about their certification programs?

I can't comment on the cert programs, I'm not certified, don't need to be for what I do.

If membership is required to take an ISA sponsored test, then I guess that's part of the cost of sitting for it.

Good insight. I was interested in the cert programs, it's not that I need them or they are required of me, but I was wondering about if it's worth getting one.
Thanks.

I am 'sort-of' studying for the CAP certification. Debating on taking it, if my employer pays for it then I would probably take it. But probably not on my own. I've never been asked about ISA or certifications so I doubt it's of much value-add. Maybe CAP will help me negotiate a few more dollars, but that's probably about it.

I think the book "A Guide to the Automation Body of Knowledge" which is a major resource of study material for the CAP cert is worth it's (Non-member) price tag.

Last edited:
For some areas they have local meetup, vendor sponsored trainings, and plant tours. Another major benefit is the ability to read ISA specification online.

For USA, I would think CSE would be worth more than CAP? Because CSE is a PE that's recognized beyond the automation community. Oh, ya, you get a small discount on study material for CSE and CAP, I am quite sure.

For some areas they have local meetup, vendor sponsored trainings, and plant tours. Another major benefit is the ability to read ISA specification online.

For USA, I would think CSE would be worth more than CAP? Because CSE is a PE that's recognized beyond the automation community. Oh, ya, you get a small discount on study material for CSE and CAP, I am quite sure.

Have a look at this presentation from ISA, they provide a bit of a better explanation of the differences. The presentation reports about 1% of Automation Professionals have passed the CSE exam in 14 years, and less than 1% of ISA members have it. So it seems quite unpopular.

This probably deserves its own thread. I wonder what certifications are helpful to automation folks. I know a few CSE but not one CAP. From here:

http://ncees.org/exams/pe-exam/

In 2015, 268 took the PE-Control system tests.

Speaking only on my experience, having a PE really helps with large engineering firms and public utilities. MSCE also seems to be popular with automation folks. Some recent problem with networks made me realize that I need more rigorous network knowledge even though I have Network+ so I'm studying up on CCNA right now, just as something that would making me better at my job.