PLC administration

kjmc

Hello,

I am looking for a way to make loading a PLC more streamlined and fool proof, the system operator/maintainer turnover is high and there is too many instances of knowing just enough to be dangerous when having the software(logix, versapro, proficy) freely available to them. in addition to
adjusting the security setting. Im hoping to be able to write a script or batch file to run from desktop or maintainers laptop or i will just have a one button command to execute from an HMI station.

We have slc500s , ge series 9030, and ge rx3i cpus.

I am comfortable with vbs, vba or any other scripting language to assist. I have been considering autohotkey as well but dunno if that will get screwed up if someone moves the mouse of presses a key.

Last edited:
Only qualified persons should be able to use the software. This sounds like HR is not hiring the right people.

Another thing I don't understand is if the programs are running fine, why do people feel the need to reprogram or fine tune them?

What are the people who "know just enough to be dangerous" changing? Are you using programming software in place of an HMI for normal operational changes like motor speed or timer presets?
I don't know the details of your operation, but it is unusual to have to be making changes that require edits to a PLC program after a machine has been in operation for a long period of time.

What are the people who "know just enough to be dangerous" changing? Are you using programming software in place of an HMI for normal operational changes like motor speed or timer presets?
I don't know the details of your operation, but it is unusual to have to be making changes that require edits to a PLC program after a machine has been in operation for a long period of time.

They need to be able to reload the program if they lose the memory when battery backup fails during maintenance or acts of god. They're not needing to reprogram the PLCs more than once or twice annually, if that, which leads to my high turn over comment, they recieve some training in these tasks. so im trying to work around the need for "qualified personnel" on PLC specifics, I'm being vague about the operation because change the people/company/contracts is not a solution i can implement. Im tech support, my other intelligent devices and pcs are not problematic since I have update utilities and I have good configuration control over the images if something goes awry. I was hoping that there was some management tool in use in large scale facilities or even new system development that I can leverage for an automated easy button approach. If your programming a new system with 100 plcs do you login to each one on the test stand to program it with every beta update? Its the want to override an alarm that is the problem, I know there are security settings to prevent this that i will change. Im working other measures to make the need to use logix or proficy rare, if ever, to perform maintence or troubleshooting tasks it is not used for operation, but its the only way i know to reload the plc, I prefer an out of sight out of mind approach so a command line capability would be ideal.

Last edited:
This AB Utility application (in the link below) has the ability to upload/download a program from a SLC500 without RSLogix. You use it by connecting with a serial cable to the PLC, then uploading the program. The program is saved to a text file as an array of data. If the PLC loses it's program, the Download button is then used to read the text file and download it back to the PLC. It eliminates the need to use RSLinx and RSLogix which in turn prevents any program modifications or need of knowledge of the AB software.

It is fully open source, so you can actually remove everything except the download button (using Microsoft Visual Studio) to make an extremely simple app that anyone can use.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/abdf1/

It also has the ability to read and save all of the data table values.

Last edited:
90-30 CPUs starting at IC693CPU35x and higher have flash memory. All Rx3i CPUs have flash memory. Furthermore, all 90-30 batteries can be changed while the PLC is powered. With proper training and written procedures to be followed before powering down for maintenance, you should be able to minimize the instances of lost memory.
In my opinion you're over-complicating things by trying to come up a software solution. Even if you can pull it off, will anybody else be able to maintain it after you've moved on?

thanks for the link, ill check it out.

as far as supporting it after ived moved on i wasnt looking at creating a custom tool but a simple batch file to exercise a utility that might already exist in the licensed product suite or ive seen some applicatiins that simply call an Update.exe or similar that comes with the program that i might leverage. guess not though, training is being worked constantly, but in the past its been taking the procedures out of their hands that dont get used often that has been most effective for me so they can focus on the operations. hardware updates(my 9030s dont have flash, slcs do) are not so essy for me to push through. thanks for input.

Last edited: