2711p df1

roxusa

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am trying to connect a 2711P K4M20A to a L532C using the RS232
port on the processor, I ve done this in the past on other 2711p screens but can't remember how (Iv'e been using all ethernet lately) Trying to put this screen on a machine to replace a Total Control Quick Panel JR that has a dead spot on the touch panel, I loaded the 2711p with ethernet but tried every configuration I could think of on coms.to get it to communicate with the SLC. I set up the shortcut in ME to point to the processor under the DF1 driver I added. Not sure if I am not set up in ME correctly or in the L532, Maybe its the cable. I will keep trying at home tomorrow or I will be running this machine with my laptop Monday. As always everything is appreciated. Thanks

Hey there Rox,

Make sure you are using a straight through cable for comms from your PV+ to your SLC.
Also make sure your SLC comm port is set for RS232-DF1 and not DH485.

Another thing to check is to make sure you are pointing your shortcut to the SLC DF1 under the "Runtime (Target)" Tab in RSLogix Enterprise Communication Setup and not just under your "Design (Local)" Tab.
When you push on the Runtime tab at the top of the page it will show you the path the shortcut is assigned to.
(I think this may be where you are having problems since you mention you will be running it from your laptop if you don't get this fixed. If you can run the application from your laptop then the design shortcut must be right, just double check the Runtime path)

Sounds like you are on the right track, think you are maybe just leaving out one of these thing mentioned above.
Double check these and then make a new "Runtime Application" and transfer it to the PV+ and see if it will communicate then.

Good Luck
BCS

I was able to run it at home on bench with another SLC set up with just Binary and integer rungs that the machine has (not many functions on screen just size input and 6 buttons)
the k4 screen is so small I cant read errors. Would not work at machine today I had a different cable but thought it was a straight through. I get ?????????? on local display (machine faults on N7:1) and on Numeric Input buttons. Does this indicate no communication or just bad info. I will check again tonight on the bench.

Thinking now the RS232 port on the L532 is bad I could not get on line with with it with a CP3 cable, everything works at home on the bench. Ill try again tomorrow.
Thanks

I am sure you already have this covered but did you check how the comm port on the 5/03 is configured to make sure it is what you think it is?

See attachments.

SLC 503_1.jpg slc 503_2.jpg

Hey Rox,
Just noticing you said you were using a CP3 cable...but you say to go online with.
So I am assuming you were using this cable to try to connect to the SLC with your PC.

If you are using the CP3 cable with the PV+ then you got the wrong cable.
CP3 is Null Modem...Not Straight.

If you were using this with your PC then check the comm port config I posted earlier.

BCS

I got it (I'm bad) Channel 0 was set to User in stead of System.
I could not get the CP3 cable to work PC to PLC, at first I thought RS232 port was bad, put another 503 in and same result, That is when I figured something in program was turning off the DF1.