FTView SE - Scripting Tag Substitution

arkansascontrols

Lifetime Supporting Member
Does anyone know of a way to Script the Tag Substitution function for an individual display?

I have a heavily populated display, with about 250 unique tags. I'm converting the display from explicitly defined tags to a display that loads with a parameter file and I'd like to script the tag substitution instead of having to repetitively launch the Tag Substitution with each tag replacement I want to do.

The Tag Substitute dialog box has an extra MessageBox after the replacement that has to be acknowledged as well. It would be nice to have a scripting function that would let me basically read a parameter file (or other formatted file) and then do a Tag Substitution of a single display based on the contents of that file.

For something that is designed to help 'Automate' it seems that the development software itself could provide more software automation.

The Application Documenter lets me SEE all the tags on a given display, it even lets me FIND instances of a given tag across multiple displays but there is no function to Find and Replace.

I would even be OK with exporting a display to XML and doing the S&R from a text editor if I could import the modified XML. This doesn't appear to be an option either.

As a possible Last-Ditch solution, I suppose it would be possible to open the display file itself in a hex editor and do a search and replace of the strings, I may give that a try on a copy of a display and see if it works. Anyone else have a solution?

I would even be OK with exporting a display to XML and doing the S&R from a text editor if I could import the modified XML. This doesn't appear to be an option either.
Using FTVSE 6.10 (I don't know what version you're using) it's possible to import one xml file and update an existent display. You only need to right-click on Displays (project tree) and follow the wizard. In fact, you can update the existing objects on the selected display or create new objects. See the attached image.

I never tried the batch mode for multiple files.

expimp.PNG

AHA! That would do the trick. I'm using 7.0 I've never seen that from the context menu before but I'm going to do some digging and see if I can find that option.

Do you happen to know if there is a way to export a display to XML?