Factory Talk Centeralised Activation Server

whussain6

Hi people,

I am trying to point my Rockwell clients to central FactoryTalk activation server. But I have never used this before so I don't know how to configure the FT server and how to point to that server for licence. I have one Studio5000 licence which is intended to be used on all three machine with one being server (of course one at a time).

Now the issue is during installation/activation (I cant remember) it prompted to configure/install as a server or standalone, and I think I selected stand alone. but now I want it to be server but don't know how? I inserted installation dvd to see if it will allow me to change but I is not available as already installed. any ides please?

I'm running Activation Manager 3.62.11 and I don't recall it asking about standalone or server. As far as I know, any Manager install is a server.

The question is where you install the license on? You need to make sure you install (host) the license on the machine you intend to be the server. Then on the machines you intend to be clients you need to point them to the server machine by going to

Manage Activation Tab
Find Available activation
Update Activation Search Path
Add the machine name of the server of its IP address

Wherever you install the licenses is the server.
You can have multiple servers, or just one.

As far as I am concerned, any machine that has an actual, installed license, is a server.

I created a win7 x64 VM, that runs on a small server back at my office. Installed FT Activation Manager, and made it the host for all my licenses. Some had to be rehosted, but Rockwell worked with me getting them all straightened out. From there, the office clients also have FT Activation Manager, but I had to put the server IP in the hosts file and assigned a machine name, in order for the clients to see the server machine. From there the clients are able to check out/in licenses as needed, or just use them online when connected to the network.

Hi

Thanks for your help, It works now.

The question is where you install the license on? You need to make sure you install (host) the license on the machine you intend to be the server. Then on the machines you intend to be clients you need to point them to the server machine by going to

Yea, that works. Now my clients are using Floating licence from licence server. Is there any way to configure them to borrow the licence automatically (i.e. check in and check out) Thanks

Thanks rdrast , I didn't know that.

but I had to put the server IP in the hosts file and assigned a machine name

I didn't need that as both machines are member of same domain.

Also I was trying to access FT server on VM (which was on server ESXI and accessed using Vsphere from my laptop) and the client was also VM locally on the laptop accessed using VM workstation. So I was not able to brwose through the network for FT server, but now I have installed client directly on laptop rather than on VM within laptop.

Last edited: