Changing SLC 5/02 to SLC 5/05

rahulmm7

Hello

We need to change 1747-L524 processor to 1747-L552 without interrupting the on-going process.Is there any way to do that,and i hope there is no redundancy module for SLC processors..Please help me as am in the critical stage.

I think you will have to interrupt the process at some point. I do not believe the SLC 500 platform is hot-swappable like the 5000 platform is. And even then you are swapping the controller.

To minimize your downtime you can use a spare IO rack to power up and load the program into your new SLC. Then shut down, swap processors, and power it back up and place it into run mode.

Barring any communications differences, you shouldn't see any issues going from a 5/02 to a 5/05.

You would need the SLC 5/02 that is currently running on your machine.

Then you would upload the program from the SLC 5/02 (still powered up). Modify it to the SLC 5/05.

Then take your new SLC 5/05 and place it in a second IO Rack, a spare one on your desk somewhere. Power it up and download the modified program from the SLC 5/02.

Then when ready, power down the SLC 5/02, swap the SLC 5/02 with the new SLC 5/05, and turn the power back on.

You should only need the new SLC 5/05 and a spare IO Rack.

Unless someone else knows of a better way to swap these. I don't think it can be done without stopping the process at some point.

If you're willing to carefully strip away insulation from every input and output conductor, splice wires in parallel to a second controller and chassis, and then do everything again in reverse without ever mis-handling a wire, you could conceivably migrate an SLC-5/02 to an SLC-5/05 without interrupting the controlled process. It's not technically impossible.

But in practice, it is not practical. The SLC family controllers absolutely cannot be "hot swapped" without removing power.

Migration of an SLC-500 controlled system from one CPU type or another very strongly calls for a planned shutdown of the process.

does the 5/02 have a cable connected to it for networking communications? ... more specifically, does the communication port on the front of the 5/02 processor play a part in the normal operation of the machine? ...

if so - then you have MUCH more to consider ...

the port on the 5/02 is for DH-485 ... specifically - it is NOT (repeat NOT) an Ethernet port - even though the connector is physically the same ...

the similarly shaped connector for the 5/05 is for Ethernet ... it will NOT do DH-485 ...

I'm short on time right now - but tell the forum whether or not you need to communicate with the new processor for normal operation ... if so, you'll definitely need to work this detail out ...

Thank you Tharon for your reply..but i have a question,i have to provide the exact replica of io modules that i have right?

does the 5/02 have a cable connected to it for networking communications? ... more specifically, does the communication port on the front of the 5/02 processor play a part in the normal operation of the machine? ...

if so - then you have MUCH more to consider ...

the port on the 5/02 is for DH-485 ... specifically - it is NOT (repeat NOT) an Ethernet port - even though the connector is physically the same ...

the similarly shaped connector for the 5/05 is for Ethernet ... it will NOT do DH-485 ...

I'm short on time right now - but tell the forum whether or not you need to communicate with the new processor for normal operation ... if so, you'll definitely need to work this detail out ...
@Ron..I need to establish communication between new processor and main control panel.

Yes,
What it amounts to if you want the least amount of downtime is you need a way to configure your 5/05 ahead of time, so it needs to be sitting in a rack that is identical to the one you will be running.
You can get an exact copy of the rack you are using now, all same I/O. (But no 5/02 processor)

Then insert your 5/05 processor in this rack, set up the new processor for given I/O configuration.

Upload the program from the working 5/02 and change the configuration to match your 5/05 processor and controller communications as necessary.

Then download the newly configured program into your 5/05 that is sitting in your new mirrored rack.

Turn off power on the mirror rack, remove the 5/05.
Turn off power on the original rack, remove the 5/02 and insert the 5/05.
Turn power back on to the original rack.

Then you should be off to the races....barring any odd comms configurations such as Mr. Beaufort pointed out.

Or if you can stop your process for just a little longer, forget about the mirror rack and bring your process to a stop, turn off power to the rack, swap the processor, configure the new processor and your program to match, download the program to the new processor sitting in the old rack and then restore power.

I just did this going from a 5/04 to a 5/05 and it did not take very long at all.
You just need to make sure you have your ducks in a row when it comes to how did the old processor communicate (DH485...RS232....etc) compared to how will your new processor communicate (Ethernet...RS232...etc).

What kind of process are you running that cant be shut down.

BCS

Last edited:
@Ron..I need to establish communication between new processor and main control panel.

How is the 5/02 communicating with the MCP now?
Is the MCP capable of excepting Ethernet comms once you switch the processor?

Do you already have this all lined up and ready to pull the trigger? (Cabling and such)

How is the 5/02 communicating with the MCP now?
Is the MCP capable of excepting Ethernet comms once you switch the processor?

Do you already have this all lined up and ready to pull the trigger? (Cabling and such)
@Bering..Thanks for your respons..The process is sludge burning in incinerator.And right now 5/02 is not communicating with MCP,we have to do it locally.

Must be producing massive quantity's of sludge or have a mighty small storage tank feeding your incinerator to not be able to stop the process long enough to change out a processor.

If you get everything straight in your mind (maybe written on paper) before you do the swap it shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to get the job done.

Edit: Of course depending on the size of your incinerator, you may have some cool down time to get to a "no flame present" state, so you can light your incinerator off again, so this may add some time to the job.
We have a small incinerator onboard to burn sludge and can light it off pretty quickly (almost right away) after a shutdown.

BCS

Last edited: