LogixPro Advanced Batch Ex. 1

computerwolf

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all...long time lurker, first time poster. To make a short story long, I'm retired Navy (March 2000) and had never heard of a PLC prior to retiring. Since retiring from the Navy, I have been working as a Maintenance Electrician in the newspaper, baking and roofing products industries. Obviously, PLCs play a major part in all these industries...thus my introduction to PLCs.

I am completely self-taught and was recently introduced to the LogixPro program, which I wish I knew existed back when I retired. Nonetheless, I have managed to make it as far as the Advanced Batch Exercise #1 with relatively few scars. Unfortunately I have hit a snag, and request some assistance.

The goal of this exercise (as I'm sure many of you are already aware) is to run two pumps to fill the tank, heat the mixture while mixing it, then run the mixer for 4 seconds after the heater reaches the proper temperature. Once that is completed, the tank is drained until the low level sensor is activated.

My problem is that the RTO I have programmed on rung 9, the 4 second delay, doesn't come on even though the line is true. Earlier versions of the same exercise will allow that timer to come on, but then I run into other issues which can be discussed at a later time.

So here I am, asking for a little guidance, not a handout. I've attached both a jpeg of the program and the program itself. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

John

LadderRungs - Advanced Batch 1B.jpg

Attachments

• Advanced Batch Exercise 1.zip
    956 bytes · Views: 90
Holey cow, what an idiot I am! After posting the above, eating some lunch and taking a nap, I decided to peruse the forum further while waiting for an answer. Imagine my surprise when I ran across a post from 2012 that led me to here: http://www.kronotech.com/LadderLogic/Basic/timers.htm and I realized that in line 13 of my logic I had the timer reset...actually, it was because the Low Level Sensor bit was set as an XIC instead of an XIO. I switched that bit and all was good...except that
when I try to stop the operation during the drain cycle, instead of picking up where it left off and finish draining, it begins filling back up again. I'll investigate further and let you know when I've come up with a solution.

John

Almost There

I've gotten almost all the bugs worked out of the program, with the exception of making it a single batch system. I have no doubt that I'll get there, but that's not why I'm posting right now.

I'd like someone to look over the program and give me some suggestions as to how I might be able to make it less cluttered. I've taken everyone's advice and gone step by step to make the system work, but I can't help but feel that I've made it more complicated than it needs to be.

So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

John

LadderRung - Advanced Batch Ex. 1.jpg

Attachments

• Advanced Batch Exercise 1 - Single Batch.zip
    967 bytes · Views: 74
First of all, welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your new career choice and determination to work it out!

Happy to have a look at your program and offer some thoughts, but the jpg is a little too small to interpret, and I don't have LogixPro to open the rsl file. Could you post a few larger screenshots?