GE Proficy ME 8.5 Sample PLC Program

S7PP

Hi experts,

I'm a new user of GE PME. I'm pretty good at AB and Siemens PLC. I'm not able to find any sample PLC code anywhere online. It will be a lot easier for me to go through the sample programs and pick up the GE way quickly.

Please help .
Thanks a lot.
S7PP

There are sample programs included with the Proficy View ME software. Have you looked at those?
I am taking a Proficy View ME class this week. It has been very informative for me. I am in the same boat you are. I know AB programing but just need to know how PVME worked and the differences between the two. The class has helped that out a lot. There are some notable differences that this class has helped clear up. You might want to consider taking one.

Thanks for reply. Yes there are sample programs in PME software, but they are mostly shows HMI configuration and screens, none of them show any PLC code in it, except one with some FBD samples. I would like to see some PLC LD code and UDT structures etc.

Are you attending the GE course in person? What is the course title? how much it cost? I'll have to see whether my company will cover it.
Thanks.

If you're good with AB and Siemens already, then I suggest porting some of your old code over to GE and see what happens. See what works, what doesn't and areas of grey hit the manual.

I'm learning Mitsubishi and Codesys at the moment, and I've taken programs I have developed in AB and porting them over to see what works and what doesn't. It's been a very good exercise as I'm learning some pretty clear differences between them all, and have a better understanding of how I need to adapt my programming style to match the capabilities of these platforms.

Really? How can you port Siemens or AB code to GE? Please give me more instruction. Thanks. I would greatly appreciate it.

When going to a new software package no matter what it's used for PLEASE never assume that any part of it will work just like the software you used to use. Very likely the new one was written by different software writers and we all know that there are no two alike. This is what IEC 6-1131 tried to do and even after years and millions of dollars there is still little 'standardization' in industrial PLC programming.
So please take the time to learn the tool that you have at your disposal and how to use them. As always there are no short cuts yet to the learning process of which that isn't even the same with all people.

S7PP,
Sorry to be so late and getting back to you on this.

The class I took was called "Controller Programming - Logic Developer PLC (447)".
It was a 4 day class and cost $2500 USD.
I really enjoied the class as it was not a "Beginner" class but more geared towards how to do things the GE way. I am like you, pretty good with AB stuff but needed to know how to work the GE Proficy ME software. This was a great class for that. Some things where a little below my level, for example timers and counters. I know what they are and how they work but how to apply them in a PME program is what I didn't know. That new information and new challenges kept my interest throughout the class.

I took the class at the local distributors location. They had a computer and a demo PLC Rack with remote I/O and a Quickpanel + HMI for each student. So it was really nice not having to share the resources. When ever I would get bored I would just start the lab exercises or work on modifying the logic I built in a previous lab to do something different. So I kept learning instead of just day dreaming :D

I will say (Like Russ also talked about) GE does things differently that AB. I am so glad I took the class because now I know the differences and how to things the GE way so I am not always fighting the software. So if you can take the class I am sure you will be glad you did.

MY advice is do not use any GE PLC products I am an engineer for them, and we do not use our own products because GE software and PLC's= garbage

I dont know about all GE Products or even the Newer stuff but i really enjoy working with QuickPanels in ProficyME (i know they bought the quickpanel line, but still the software is updated) and when i had problems GE central tech support wasnt that great, however, connecting with my local distributor's tech support yielded much better results.

If it were up to me I would use AB PLC's for just about every job. Unfortunately when you have to meet you customers demands, if you don't go with what they want, you don't get the job.
The software is workable and has some nice features. The actual programing is a bit on the "clunky" side. It has a way to go before it will be as user friendly as RSL5000 IMHO. Now that I know how to work with the new equipment I feel a lot better moving forward.

Just an observation on my part, YMMV.

I have worked with the GE hardware and software since 1989 and have taught scores of Engineers how to use GE. I have never met a good Engineer who struggled with any GE PLC programming software. Except for a few who refused to give up their old software and insist on trying to force this new software to work "just like" what they struggled so hard in learning in the past.

For all the good Engineers who have become comfortable with multiple PLC programming software packages that include GE, most tell me that they prefer Proficy ME over brand X and Y.

Of course as indicated, YMMV!