On start up Modbus Protocol Issues

asterof

SO I got a prosoft module talking 19200, no parity, one stop bit
to a lot of modbus valves
Now I get ask to connect to a pumping system that also talks modbus. OOPPSSS the problem here is the pumps only talk
19200, even parity, one stop bit
So it is not changeable so how do I get around this
I looked for a modbus to modbus converter but did not find anything.

what model prosoft? they usually have 2 ports. can you change your modbus valves?

on the other hand, modbus valves sound scary!

in that case you could use a red lion datastation.

what kind of plc? datastation could push directly to most plcs, so no need for the prosoft.

You could use the PLC's ethernet port to talk Modbus/TCP to the oddball slave (actually Even parity is the Modbus standard, the others do not comply) and use an Ethernet-to-serial Modbus converter, something like a Digi One IAP which has configurable serial port settings.

Some radio modems will operate in that the serial ports do not need to match. In other words, you would have a master radio modem connected to the ProSoft device configured for 19200 baud, no parity and one stop bit while the radio connected to the pumping system device could be configured for 19200 baud, even parity, one stop bit and the data would pass seamlessly between the two. You do need to make sure that the modem supports Modbus RTU (not all do). That might be overkill but it is doable (I’ve done it).

Actually any FreeWave serial radio will do it as will any Data-Linc radio. I’m not sure about Microhard. I don’t know what the ProSoft module cost but it might be cheaper to get another one of those and have two Modbus RTU masters.