HMI button sticking on

gusterminator

Hi guys,

I have an HMI button that when clicked turns on a timer. It is sticking on sometimes. If I click on it long enough it will clear and shut off. I was wondering if I need to put a one shot some where in the rung or maybe add the timer to the subroutine.

Any body experience this?

Maybe a bad spot on the membrane switch. Try moving the button graphic to a different area on the screen, at least temporarily to test.

Thanks for the quick reply, we are using a computer screen with a mouse pointer as the clicking device. We physically don't touch the screen. It seems like it has something to do with how the program is being scanned.

Sorry can't be much help there, I know of some trouble with Rsview32 buttons.
Why I was asking what software.

History? Working for a long time and this just started? Recent Windows update?

My first suspect would be the mouse driver. Try a different brand mouse so you get a different driver. Do you have a hot-key option for the button, or another way to "click" it via the keyboard?

It is wise to code for this possibility. "Stuck button syndrome" can happen with any HMI device. Even if it is working properly, the communication link could be broken before the HMI can change the state of a button back to "off".

Some folks use oneshots, others reset the bit as soon as it has been used in the PLC. I often like to tie the buttons directly to a timer in the PLC set for about one or two seconds and then use the timer timing bit in place of the momentary button in subsequent logic. This method lets me see the change of state for at least a short duration.

I always setup one array of INTs for push buttons. The HMI just sets the bit and then the PLC uses MOVe XOR every scan so that each bit is on for one full scan of the PLC logic.

Check out this thread that talked about a similar thing just recently. My post (#3) explains a bit about how the stuck buttons happen, and shows what I do as standard practice to protect against it.

When iFix, a while back, started using VB and after an upgrade to that version we started getting complaints of a "sticking" jog button.
What I found was if the VB code used "mousedown" and the operator held the mouse button AND moved the pointer the "mouseup" part that would toggle the iFix output off would not be captured.
When the pointer lost focus the command did nothing. If you moved back to the button and clicked down/up it would shut off the output.
To get around the issue we added "mousemove" that would also stop the jog command.
Can you verify if the "stuck" is from the HMI or in the PLC?

I have had this Happen Before, and it can wreak havoc in the control of your machine. my personal preference has been using a 1shot. but the other methods should work as well.