Controls Engineer/Electrical contractor

Giovanni_1420

Maybe some one can help me out. trying to do a read parameter message instruction in RS logix 5000 to a GE AF 650 VFD. To get for example heat sink temperature or rpms etc. However I do not understand in the manual how to determine the class I understand the attribute of the parameter and the instance what it says in the manual it is not clear. Idiots at GE that are supposed to be experts on the GE AF 650 drive have no clue on how their own VFD is programmed what a joke. They are anything but that. Anyhow I can not figure out how to determine what class, attribute etc. when you choose get single attribute in the rs logix 5000 message instruction. Further more you can make a generic Ethernet module and assign it to the Ethernet option board that you have in the vfd and you are able to pull multiple pieces of information out of the drive instead of just one at a time. Like when using the message instruction. It keeps giving me a fault on the generic module 16#0022 it says a message was received but the service code does not match. The GE manual is very unclear it is manual DET-625 any help would be appreciated, and I wouldn't care if I can get either one of these methods to work preferable though with the generic Ethernet module I do want to pid control the drive via Ethernet.
Link to the Manual for the Ethernet module.
http://apps.geindustrial.com/publib...0463-DET-625a|PDF&filename=Ethernet_IP_EN.pdf

Last edited:
The GE AF650 drives are made by Danfoss. Perhaps a Danfoss manual for the Ethernet IP option module will be written in a manner that makes more sense to you. Beyond that, I haven't worked with Ethernet IP enough to offer any assistance.

When i had problems GE central tech support wasnt that great, however, connecting with my local distributor's tech support yielded much better results. I suggest you try that as well.

Very frustrating to me. Imo this is the most technical but the most efficient & best way to set up a VFD. It requires no control wires only line and load power and you can do whatever you want via an Ethernet cable. PID ect. send the relays from the drive into the PLC. Excellent method just have to get it to work. Hahaha

Yeah, but I told them I was with GE, and that our tech support does not know how to program these drives in the manner that I would like to. He said he cant talk to me because I am from GE. Pretty lame..... I will try to call back act dumb don't say I am with GE and see if I get better results. That manual is very unclear on many things. Very littel examples except for setting up the generic Ethernet module which is what I am having trouble with it is talkiing to the drive but faulting out inside the program on the Generic Ethernet module of my rs 5000. Doesn't effect the processor the program run just the Ethernet module is in a fault condition saying the message received but service code does not match the one that is received error (16#0022). I am assuming it has something to do with the input instance the comm format is a right though have a INT and what I am trying to receive is 20 bites worth which is a 10 word INT. It is page 22 in the manual you can take a look and see what I am talking about.

Last edited:
As a side topic, Ethernet/IP is great on paper, and installation. However, there are a few quirks that prevent me from fully converting from hard-wired to Ethernet/IP control.

As an example, while evaluating one manufacturer, one VFD was connected to a redundant Ethernet/IP network. A fail-over was forced (primary ethernet card became secondary, secondary the primary). Drive continued to work (as expected). A fail-over was forced two more times. The drive stopped responding to start/stops/speed setpoints etc.

What had happened was that the DCS Ethernet card was not following the TCP procedure for closing down TCP sessions during failovers which caused it to consume all of the VFD's available TCP sessions. The drive would have to be reset to get it working again.

"Ethernet is for monitoring only" is one of the design rules I continue to follow.

When you set up the Generic Ethernet Module object in the RSLogix 5000 I/O tree, what are the exact Assembly numbers and sizes that you used for Input, Output, and Configuration ?

70/20/4 for Input/Output/Config are the typical values, but the user manual also includes some information on using others.

The 16#0022 connection error code for the I/O connection is a separate issue from the MSG instructions, so let's consider them separately.

Error 16#0022 typically happens when the third party device rejects one of the configuration parameters requested by the controller. One common cause I've seen is when the controller requests an RPI (the polling interval) that's not supported by the third party device. That GE drive claims they'll support as fast as 1 ms, and the default is 5 ms. What is your setting for RPI ? Try some higher values, like 50 or 100 ms just to test that setting.

This drive looks like it supports the ordinary Parameter Object (Class 0x0F).

That's good; the MSG instruction in RSLogix 5000 can be set for a Parameter Read, which automatically sets the Class and Attribute for you. You just have to figure out the Instance, which is related to the Parameter Number.

In many devices, it's as simple as Instance = Parameter.

This drive seems to divide its parameters into O and EN groups, so we have to figure out how that translates into an Instance number.

"Ethernet is for monitoring only" is one of the design rules I continue to follow.

One of mine is "A DCS vendor will always find a way to make their protocol bugs somebody else's problem".

I'm still amazed at how strong the credibility can be from a DCS vendor once a customer has sunk a lot of money into them. I have a written evaluation of DeviceNet connectivity from a customer bake-off in which they scored Brand X DCS as superior in network connectivity to Rockwell, a full three years before Brand X actually released their network adapter. I had done a full hands-on performance test while Brand X had given the customer a PowerPoint. Just amazing.

like the manual says to do assembly instance input 103 for the assembly instance 153 for the output and the size was 10 the com format was that of a 16 bit INT. HMM I think have my input and out put assembly instances backwards this could be the problem.

yeah so if set my message instruction to read single attribute. I can't figure out in the manual what to set the attribute instance and class. It says what the instance and attribute is it's the class is what is really throwing me off.