panel holes and cable glands

Charbel

Dear,

I need to check if the panel holes M20 are suitable for cable glands for 3x1.5mm2 cables

and if M20 panels holes are suitable for cable glands for 5x1.5mm2 cables.

I checked the required diameter from Belden.
29004 belden (3x1.5mm2) has an outer diameter of 16.76mm
29019 belden (5x1.5mm2) has an outer diameter of 18.54mm

please advise if M20 is suitable for this kind of cables.

thanks!

Charbel

dear,

thank you for your quick reply, I forgot to mention that the cables that I am using are armored cables ( however, the cable diameter that I gave considered this)
so I guess the material for this cable gland should be different than PP

thank you!

charbel

Here in the UK when using SY cable, you normally install it with either normal stuffing glands, or proper SY glands as below;

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/cable-gland-kits/4634095/

Obviously price has a big part to play in this.

As the_msp has stated, M20 glands come in various sizes to suit the different cable diameters so you need to select which ever gives the appropriate IP rating. Having said that, if stuffing glads are to be used the cable braiding still needs to be earthed. This is where most people don't bother but it is still a requirement!!!

Last edited:
You need to find a suitable gland first. This will be dependent on the armour type, which appears to be interlocked aluminium (I predominantly use SWA here in Australia).

Your chances are pretty good that M20 will do both cables: http://www.ehawke.com/datasheets/701.pdf

Disclaimer: I've not fully reviewed your cable datasheets to ensure complete suitability of this gland for your cable or your application. Hawke was merely one of the first google results I turned up and I in no way recommend them above or below any other gland manufacturer (though I have used their glands without any issues).

Dear Aclemence,

yes you are right, M20 will do both cables.

Dear Matchu04,

I checked datasheet, I have to increase to M25.

this look like, panel hole is highly dependent on the selected gland.
is there anyway to make it standard by following international standard for example british standard or it is highly dependent on the manufacturer?

thank you!

Charbel