Personal Opinion on brands and politics

rsdoran

Lifetime Supporting Member
As I sit in my shop surrounded by GE 90-30, AB SLC, Siemens S5, S7-200, S7-300, Klockner Moeller, Gould Modicon, and more. I have DRIVES both AC?DC from AB/Reliance (all across the spectrum for last 30 years), Eurotherm, Magnetek (now Yaskawa), AC Tech, Telemecanique and more. I have parts (like PB"S and breakers) from Scheider group, Cutler Hammer, AB, GE, Siemens. I must deal with several vision systems. Many components and devices from all over the world.

ALAS I am an end user. I dont get too choose in most cases what devices are used on systems and even though I like certain devices from personal observation of reliability/ease of use in the long run it doesnt matter.

I am a professional, I will learn to work with whatever is out there. I will read German, French, Italian etc al not because I can but because I must. The concept of being a professional is doing what needs to be done to get the job done correctly.

As for the political statement. I do not see what bearing 1914 and 1939 has to do with anything today. Anyone making that statement driving a Japanese car or any car made with Japanese parts? There are no innocents when there is war, and any war that WAS is just that WAS...over ie history..in the past...hindsight etc etc al.

I am proud of the fact that I am an American, but some acts could have been avoided. To this day we are the ONLY country that has used an atomic bomb on another country. War IS WAS and forever will be an atrocity for all people involved.

Note: I am not nor could ever be considered one of the anti-war/draftdodging/flower child/peace protesters that was common in the last 60's. I have done my part.

To end this for me I started this because I can not understand how educated, professional people in the engineering/maintenance/ can sustain a prejudice because of history. As long as this kind of mentality is maintained by the professionals of the world then we are always doomed to be at war...to hate WHY? Because you teach it to others.

The other thing that concerns me is the fact that professionals arent looking at the WHOLE field to learn all that is available.

I joke in ways about being a tech/maintenance etc...now that I have seen this I am proud I am just a country boy from the southern US with my limited education. I have lived thru war, racial issues, etc al.

I can state I am a professional, that my work is something I always attempt to do properly, correctly, and safely for me and others. I seek knowledge on a daily basis from a variety of fields and countries.

Ken Roach, who most recently mentioned 1914 and 1938, said that his reasons regarding his dislike were personal.

I respect that, whether or not I share it (just as you are willing, and even proud, to live in the Southern US ;) ).

Are you arguing that he shouldn't make professional judgemnts based on personal opinions. As long as he's in the US of A (and many points beyond), he's perfectly free to.

I frankly doubt that any of us are capable of making an unbiased one. We are largely the product of our experiences. If you have a bad (or good) experience with a manufacturer or product line, you'll avoid (or favor) it when it comes time to choose, regardless of whether it is the best (or worst) - whatever that's supposed to mean.

Not making a statement here, just something to mull over:
I'm sure that in 1936, there were folks who were saying "1914 - that was a long time ago. It's history, it's over, move on."

It's not Germans I dislike, it's Volkswagen, Krupp, and Siemens. It's not hatred, it's not jingoism, it's remembrance.

I broke my own rule against badmouthing the competition in the thread from which this one diverged and only because the original post was so blatant in it's attempt to start precisely that kind of flamefest. I succumbed to the temptation to get my licks in.

A general interest forum I read often has a "BBQ Pit" section specifically for flame wars! I have no interest in seeing Phil implement something like that here. If I want to flame, I'll go do it on F***edCompany.com.

It won't happen again. You've seen dozens of PLC questions spin off into A-B bashing threads and it's a point of principle that I will never, ever, badmouth a competitor whose customer posts a problem to this Forum.

As usual my meaning is misinterpreted or I didnt state correctly. I do not mean to start a war either.

My point is we will have prejudices and be bias for numerous reasons on a variety of subjects, that is human.

To discuss/debate/atttack/bash any company because you dislike their device(s) for whatever reason can be understood. You tried it, had to use, may still have to use it but dont like it.

To make statements refering to WAR(s) as a reason for disliking products made by hard working people that have nothing to do with the events of the past I thought was extremely harsh. Maybe I misinterpreted the statement but the reference was to 1914 and 1939 which were the beginnings of wars instigated by the German nation, therefore the statement has to be construed that the dislike is based on a dislike of the country and people of german heritage.

I have debated many things here...the main topic being "dumb down code" I reckon. I have seen many topics not pertaining to plc's that were welcome respite. I doubt that at anytime will I ever make a comment pertaining to a race, religion or nation in a derogatory manner on this forum or any other public place. I may call an AH an AH if that is what I think but then again most of us can be an AH at any given time.

Allen you are correct, everyone can say what they want..its their right.

I do not know how to say what I mean. As a Professional your personal thoughts dont matter but what you say in a public forum can.

I have only been a part of this forum for a few weeks and I sense that there are some hostilities between some. Maybe all in fun, but hostility none the least. I have always tried to stick to what my mom used to tell me, "Say what you mean, mean what you say, but keep it short!" I guess my military background also taught me to speak only on what needs to be talked about. We should all know that we are judged by how we look, what we say, and what we do by others (especially by those that do not know who we really are).