RSlogix 500 PID Block

kirk

Lifetime Supporting Member
What is better?

Scaling the Set point to 0-16383 (Attached Image 2)

Or leaving the set point and using the Setpoint Max / Min to scale the PV? (Attached Image 1)

PLC1.jpg PLC 2..jpg

I prefer to scale the set point to engineering units. (Attached Image 1)

People understand engineering units better then raw data values. Raw data values have no real world meanings.

A simple way that works for me is to stay with the native integer format and scale your data for increased resolution. In my example of a temperature control PID, a setpoint temperature of 31.18C is represented by an SP of 3118 and a PV of 31.29 is 3129. See image

PID1.jpg

temperature of 31.18C is represented by an SP of 3118 and a PV of 31.29 is 3129.

That's just engineering units with an implied decimal point. That's the way it was done before PLC's supported floating point numbers.

Works as long as everybody knows where the decimal point is.

That's just engineering units with an implied decimal point. That's the way it was done before PLC's supported floating point numbers.

Works as long as everybody knows where the decimal point is.

Ya, I used to do it that way but quit that with the first PLC I had that supported Floating point.